5.9 Magnum into a 73Duster

-
Thanks for all the input guys.
For the first start up we'll just cut the case of the 904 for the crank trigger. May look around the junk yards for a standard trans ecu. We are still trying to make up your mind on a few things. Guess that what happens when you get older. :toothy10:

Thanks for all the input guys.
For the first start up we'll just cut the case of the 904 for the crank trigger. May look around the junk yards for a standard trans ecu. We are still trying to make up your mind on a few things.

nice talkin to you yesterday.

Guess that what happens when you get older. :toothy10:

uh, What did we talk about?

Man, I wish you the best. I absolutely hate working with the stuff your dealing with in order to put that combo in an A body. Im confused already! If you run out of spring in your step, remember the 5.9 magnum is VERY carb friendly!!

Good Luck, I'll be checking in for updates!!

Man, I wish you the best. I absolutely hate working with the stuff your dealing with in order to put that combo in an A body. Im confused already! If you run out of spring in your step, remember the 5.9 magnum is VERY carb friendly!!

Good Luck, I'll be checking in for updates!!

But thats the fun of this Right??? I think it will be well worth it in the long run.

we'll work on swapping the oil pans this week. Also check the bearings, just in case due to the roll over it came out of. :clock:

I'm doing virtually something very similar, except in addition to the magnum V8 and A-518, I am transplanting the entire electrical harness, from tail light bulbs to headlight bulbs to electric fuel pump, to power door locks. I know I have my work cut out for me.

Remind me on the oil pan issue, do we just put an older style pan on the magnum engine, if so, does that require a different oil pump as well as pick up tube, and what about the timing cover, are they compatible.

I want to keep the serp drive set up.

I just got everything removed from the donor vehicle, I even cut the threaded flange off the gas tank so I can use the thread on fuel pump module in an old tank, with some work of course.

Hopefully I remember this right. :read2: Use the earlier pan gasket for the 360 LA.(pre magnum one)) The pick up tube to match the pan. Seems like there was a tread here on this some where. We also need to change the dip stick tube to match the pan. I know someone will hopefully chime in if I'm wrong. Guess I need to find the tread. LOL
Good luck on your FUN project. Keep us posted :toothy10:

Got the pan off this morning, The black one is off the Magnum. And the blue is off a 360LA block. The main difference is on the front seal area. The main reason of using the earlier gasket set.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

I thought I read about the oil pan issue on here somewhere myself, just cant find it either. Looks like we will have to stick together on this one.

I also want to keep the magnum exhaust manifolds, the combo was pulled from a van, any ideas on them???

It will be awhile before mine goes in, with the A-518, there is some floor and crossmember work ahead of me.

Not trying to hi-jack, actually planned on waiting to post until I had started on the floors, will be a winter project for me, but couldn't pass up sharing ideas.

I thought I read about the oil pan issue on here somewhere myself, just cant find it either. Looks like we will have to stick together on this one.

I also want to keep the magnum exhaust manifolds, the combo was pulled from a van, any ideas on them???

Not trying to hi-jack, actually planned on waiting to post until I had started on the floors, will be a winter project for me, but couldn't pass up sharing ideas.
At lease you won't have to change the timming cover. I'm keeping the serp also

Sorry not up to speed on how they flow. Using headers on mine, testing will be done on headmans,then TTIs.
Don't think you are . I really enjoy all the thoughts/ideas. This is whats makes FABO number one :cheers:

MMMmm maybe we need to see if joey would set up a section just for this type of swap. :thumbup::

At lease you won't have to change the timming cover. I'm keeping the serp also

Sorry not up to speed on how they flow. Using headers on mine, testing will be done on headmans,then TTIs.
Don't think you are . I really enjoy all the thoughts/ideas. This is whats makes FABO number one :cheers:

MMMmm maybe we need to see if joey would set up a section just for this type of swap. :thumbup::

We arent the only yokels :munky2:doin this, there are alot of guys out there getting it done right now.:salute: So the more pictures the better, that way someone can see just what it takes and just what the different sollutions are before they get in over their head. :banghead:Or just as bad, have to pay someone BIG bucks to finish it for them.:sad1:

I'm off to the job for the next week so I'll have to wait till then to take a few more pics to post.
We can start a discussion about routing the front Rad hose tho.
I saw a couple ones in vegas this year but didnt take pics.
The issue I ran into was the stock truck radiator hose went up and over the air con compressor lines. That put it about 2 inches or so above the top of my radiator. A huge space for an air bubble.
I saw one solution in Vegas this year but didnt take pics. It routed all the way around the back of the compressor, over the top of the driverside valvecover and then to the rad. Looked to be about 3 foot of hose.
I looked at the aluminum mounting bracket for the compressor and the alternator and determined that it could lose some meat and not hurt its ability to hold the alternator in place. Out came the trusty sawsall :crybaby:(I had already had this bracket powdercoated) and I cut out enough that my radiator hose now goes forward between the alt and a/c comp using the factory hose. That done the hose needed to be cut down and I removed some height off the thermostat housing also. I cut out a chunk of the housing and welded the shortened pieces back together. Obviously the a/c lines went thru the hose now so they were modified at a local a/c shop to go over the hose. I'll post some pics when I get home next week.
I would sure like to see some other solutions to this one.:read2:

Starting to cut open the factory harness to see what to keep and what to cut.
Will post some more pics this week. Got a new pan gasket,now just need to swap over the pickup tube. Got more reading to do. :read2:

charger 70 very nice cross member,,good reading here on this topic,,

i have a question,,i may be pulling out my old school red ram hemi out of my 40 dodge street rod,, if not fixable cost wise,,

im considering a 5.2 or a 5.9 magnum,,but i would go with a carb,,ive also considered a 3.9 just to be different,,

i would also convert back to the early timing cover IF,,,,, does any one know, if the timing chain in the magnum is a double roller ?? are the gears like in a 340 or 360 >? can a mechanical fuel pump excentric be put on to the magnum timing gear/cam ?? as to not have to run a electric fuel pump,,

thanks ahead of time

I'm not sure on the double roller chain will have to look in the morning since the pan off. Some where here on the forum There was a few threads on this.But at this time I have a blank look.LOL

i look forward to learning more on this topic,, ive purchased a magnum manual from mopar ,,jsy havnt opend it yet,,,,to much going on till that project,, thanks

Yes, it's a double roller, and you can put all the old 340 /318 front on it if you want. But to put a mech fuel pump on you will need a roller cam cut out of an LA blank to get the snout for the eccentric to bolt to. The Magnum cams are short up front. Somebody good at machining might be able to make an eccentric adapter.
But if your going with a carb I would suggest a new cam anyway, the stock one is decent but there is alot left on the table.

thanks i guess ide have to see it to figure out if an adapter can be done,, thanks for your reply,, and nice cross member,,,

I believe that's what you are looking for.

Love the white duster. Ill be following this thread considering I have a wrecked 5.9 durango (complete) and a 73 scamp in serious need of some quality motivation. Ive been looking around for some more info on this swap but this seems to be the most I can find. If you know of any other sites with a good write up on this please forward them. Good luck :thumbup:

-
Back