5.9magnum questions

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
First off I can't find a used 5.9 anywhere in my area for love or money.
However one is sure to pop up sooner or later. What vehicle should I be
Chasing for a donor? I would like to use the entire front accessory drive.
A/c, alternator.... Serpentine etc. Will that stuff fit under my duster hood?
Also will the 340 hi po exhaust manifolds work on those heads? Thanks everyone.

Any 93 or up Dodge Ram pick up. The Hemis didn't come out until early 2000s.

Any 1993-2003 Dodge Ram truck, Ram Van 1993-02, 1998-2003 Dakota R/T, 2000-2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 1998-2003 Dodge Durango and Durango R/T. 1998 Jeep Grand Limited 5.9 AWD. I don't see why the stuff wouldn't fit but, I think you should use the LA stuff because it would be easier. Plus I think you have to use a different power steering pump. I can't remember the who details.
I bought a core 5.9 Magnum to put in a Lil Red Express truck. The LA valve covers will work but, I suggest using the grey LA MP gaskets. The manifolds should work. The one off of my Lil Red worked and I would use Remflex gaskets. Amazon.com has them cheaper than buying from them directly from Remflex. Also, don't forget you'll need a neutral balance flexplate (B&M) and knock the weights off of your torque converter or buy a neutral balanced one.

I'm running a set of the MP R/T Magnum heads on my Duster with Hi-Po manifolds. I had to cut a set of 16 or 14 gauge adapters as there wasn't enough meat around the port to seal the exhaust manifolds. I laid a set of early exhaust manifold gaskets on a set of production Magnum heads and it looked like those would have sealed fine, but Mopar saw fit to save some weight and left less material around the exhaust ports on the R/T heads. The problem was on the bottom where the face of the port didn't come down quite far enough.

On a standard head, the Hi-Po manifolds would probably work just fine.

Here's a picture of the center ports:

Parts018-1.jpg

The hi-po manifolds didn't fit properly on my stock Magnum heads.

try car-part.com, also craigslist.

Search for 5.9 out of 1998 1500 RAM on Car parts, the interchange will turn up everything.

thanks guys, I knew what the 5.9 came in, just was under the impression all the front accesories were different between bodies due to engine compartment size. However since I am not willing to deal with the header headache, I'm gonna have to stick with my LA and buy better heads! Then add injection at a later date. How about the front accesories....can I bolt the entire front end on an LA, to take advantage of the improved a/c compressor, alternator, and serpentine, ps pump? I own some newer front alternator and brackets...tiny alternator, and nice looking bracket set up, It mightbe 91-92? I was told it came off the 1st magnum motors...at least the heads are magnum

Without headers, I don't know how much better heads are going to do for you. They won't perform to their potential for sure.

There's a bunch of other stuff you get from a Magnum. Lighter rotating assembly, better machining from the factory, lower drag ring package, hydraulic roller camshaft.

Heads are probably the least of that, especially considering how they like to crack.

thanks LXGuy those are the exact reasons I wanted a 5.9. I have just been so confused on what will and wont work and the mods required with all the different headers, that I just gave up. Not to mention I really hate the headers on my f250, so I am absolutely set on running hi po manifolds. The threads on what manifolds will work is just as dizzying as the threads on the headers. So I guess I am open for suggestions!

-
Back