5 speed swap into 72 dart!!!

-

7duce swinger

Reaction score
Hello again, my 904 has recently been slipping. I give it gas and the car wont move at all, well i have to wait a while, then it slowly starts moving. First off the trans has fluid, its fresh fluid. Tranny lines arent broken so its not leaking, im just thinking it is its time now. Ive always wanted to do a 5 speed swap, and now my neighbor who is my dads bestfriend is giving me a deal on a borg warner, 5 speed. My question is how hard/how expensive and what exactly am i looking at to get this 5 speed in my dart? Thanks to all replies im looking forward for help on this, since my 904 is dying on me. Oh hes selling it to me for 125$ so i think its a good deal it was rebuilt, and its been in his garage for close to four years. Thanks for any replies

Some questions i would like to be answered are. Would a 4 speed bellhousing work? Or does it need to be a borg warner or t5 pattern ? Whats cheaper and easier to do, hydraulic or z bar? Would i be looking to cut and get driveshaft lengthened, or shortened? Does anyone here run a 5 speed, borg warner tremec etc? Thanks again

I put a Tremec TKO in about five years ago. My 4 speed bell housing was modified by Keisler to fit the Tremec. The Z bar is OEM, so it fits right in. The drive shaft will be a different length.

Ok so what did you use for pedals? Are you using stock mopar 4 speed pedals or what did you use? also i was thinking maybe swiping everything off of a mustang 5.0 5 speed car, do you think that would work? I know nothing comes cheap when working with cars, especially mopars, but i am wanting to do this as cheap as possible, as in everything that i need to do, i want to go the cheapest route possible lol. Thanks 7 duce

My "6spd progress" thread can help you with the clutch setup if you want to go that route. I have been driving mine, about 500 miles on her, and it works like it should and the right engage/disengage rates IMO. The 5.0 Mustangs use a clutch cable that I wouldnt bother with. I think the T5 uses basically a GM muncie pattern for the bell. I think all you need is a Mopar to GM 4 speed bell, but I havent dug to deep into this swap. Somebody on here has done this swap already,I think in an early A body.

I think there was a Dakota bell housing and Toyota 5 speed out of a Supra someone figured out how to swap in. Might search it.

There are several t-5's floating around, not many stock ones can take more than 300 ft/lbs of torque. Gm and Ford both used them behind 4cyl, v6, and v8's so input and output shaft spline can vary as can input shaft length. For example the 94-95 5.0 mustang input shaft is longer than the 87-93.

I just checked and you are right^^^^ Ford and Chevy T5s dont interchange but do use the same patterns as a TKO for their brands.

Well i really dont know how much power im pushing out, probly not much but its something to think about now. I think they have torque ratings on tags if im right. I need to check that out. How about oem bellhousings? Does anyone know what exaxctly needs to be done to match the pattern on the t5? Thanks 72bb, your thread is called "6 speed progress"?

Thanks 72bb i see you did quite a bit of cutting, although yours is a six speed, the one i am speaking of is a t5, im guessing the 6 speed tko is much bigger right? I also have thought about a 4 speed swap. Would it be the same thing as in fabbing things up, cutting the same amount of metal n such? What would be easier and cheaper of the two four or five speed?

Well i can get the t5 for 100$. The pedals would have to be a body pedals or could i fabricate something or modify some mustang pedals? Does anyone know about that, or do i have to go with some companies pedals lokar etc?? Thanks for all the input oh where could i find a bellhousing for the mopar to t5 or once again can i modify it myself ?

Like many people have said that the t5 has a rating of 300 ft/lbs. Would the t5 handle up ok behind my smallblock? I mean i dont want to do this if it wont be alive for longer than a few months. And how does all the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel stuff go. Do i buy stuff for a mopar or clutch/flywheel/pressure plate for a ford? Im thankful for any feedback. 7duce

Did you ever get the 5-speed swap done? I picked up a Quick Time bellhousing to fit a T5 to a SBM, it uses all the stock clutch linkage stuff, along with pressure plate and flywheel. You just need a clutch disc for a 5.0 Mustang. You will need to do a little trimming of the trans crossmember for fitment. On a side note, I've got a 82 Capri with a 400ish HP 302 with a 114,000 mile T5 out of a 89 GT. After 3 years of slicked up 6K clutch drops, is hasn't skipped a beat! 1.55 60ft, 7.64 1/8th mile!

-
Back