518 od unit behind a 500?

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
Since i don't have either trans, that would give me options to put an OD trans together.

Did a 518 behind a 500''RB.Had to cut off the small block bell and install a bolt on JW bell. Uses the front pump bolt holes.This was in a street car and was fine. Tough like a 727. That was back in 2003.I have kicked around the idea of putting one in my old 1 ton Dodge.

Since i don't have either trans, that would give me options to put an OD trans together.

Greg, the absolute best option is to use an Extreme Automatics built 200R4 with bolt on bellhousing, and if you are drag racing it only, skip the lock-up torque converter. It's heavier.

You will have to use a US Cartool crossmember to fit it, but the floor remains uncut. Bolts right on otherwise.

I have the Stage 2 with a Precision of New Hampton 3800 stall with 3 carbon fiber lock-up clutch converter. It's the best automatic I ever drove and is essentially a 5 speed auto with the lock-up. I run 3.91 rear end gears and an injected 408 Magnum. It's quick, fast and ultra reliable.

Did a 518 behind a 500''RB.Had to cut off the small block bell and install a bolt on JW bell. Uses the front pump bolt holes.This was in a street car and was fine. Tough like a 727. That was back in 2003.I have kicked around the idea of putting one in my old 1 ton Dodge.

had this 518 in a 73 1 ton car hauler.
swapped the car hauler to CTD 5 speed.

Now the 518 is in a 72 Dart 540

026.JPG

SAM_4699.JPG

004_zpsxf4a74cq.jpg

-
Back