518 with transgo kit question

-

Reaction score
I understand the importance of a tv ( kick down) system but i always manually shift because it always seems to short shift in drive. So my question, do I still need the tv hooked up if always manually shifting ? I think the shift kit claims to turn the valve body into somewhat of a manual valve body when not in drive but I could be way wrong on that.

If it has automatic shifting, it needs the throttle valve linkage or cable because that is not just for "kickdown" function. Only remove the linkage when a full manual conversion was performed. Full manual does not use TV input for pressure adjustments during acceleration.

I would not even think about driving it until you find out for sure .

If it has automatic shifting, it needs the throttle valve linkage or cable because that is not just for "kickdown" function. Only remove the linkage when a full manual conversion was performed. Full manual does not use TV input for pressure adjustments during acceleration.

For kickdown and most importantly throttle pressure.
This not only gives the kickdown function, increases the holding power of the bands and clutches in relation to the amount of throttle used.
Even if manually shifted you HAVE to have it hooked up or it will burn itself up from slippage.
ONLY full manual valve bodied transmissions are exempt from this.

Solve the problem. Switch it full manual. This is not hard to do. Most come with instructions. TrailBeast is right. Switching over will solve the slippage problem because you will modify the servos functions. I ran one on the street like this and the 5.0 arm. I love hearing an automatic chirp the tires on the second gear shift... on the street........

Yes u need the tv operating when u use the TF-2 kit. Trans Go full manual kits TF-3 still need the tv linkage or u can tie the tv all the way to the rear of the trans. Kim

So leaving the tv linkage tied back won’t hurt anything ?

So leaving the tv linkage tied back won’t hurt anything ?
On an otherwise unmodified trans it may make the shifts too hard and late if it's tied all the way back.
About the only way it could actually hurt anything is if the hard shifts break something, and if it does then something was weak anyway.

I have tied them all the way or even just 2/3 if they shifted too hard and late in RPM's.

With the TF-3u can tie the linkage back. With the TF-2 u cannot tie the linkage all the way back as the trans won’t shift out of first gear. Kim

I understand the importance of a tv ( kick down) system but i always manually shift because it always seems to short shift in drive. So my question, do I still need the tv hooked up if always manually shifting ? I think the shift kit claims to turn the valve body into somewhat of a manual valve body when not in drive but I could be way wrong on that.
They sell governor kits to solve that, and when you get it tweaked just right, you'll be able to relax now and then

I'm a bit confused, nothing new about that of course, but wasn't your question about a 518 with a Transgo kit? I see that some here are talking about the TF-2 and the TF-3 kit. According to a discussion I had with the Gil Younger at Transgo when the A500/A518 came out, his word was don't use those kits in the OD transmission. They had experimented with those older kits and found as I recall issues with the OD section of the transmission. Something about breaking parts. He wasn't really clear about the actual result, but said that if someone bought one of the early kits and s... happened it was their own gd fault. Gil used salty language quite often.:mad:
For the A500/A518 gas units, you should use the TFOD-HD2 or if you want full manual valve body the TFOD-3. With the diesel engine there is a kit strictly for that application.
If however you meant to say a 727 transmission then the comments of Oldkimmer and TrailBeast are correct.

Last edited:
-
Back