550 bb track results!

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
Finally got the 550 cube 440-1 headed, alky injected motor down the track.
Last sat and sunday Brainerd intl in minnesota had a special event for MSRA(MINNESOTA STREET ROD ASSOCIATION) members.
The first pass was off idle, went 1.276 60 ft, 8.888 in 1/4 at 150.5 mph. 2530 DA.
The second run it spun the tires but the vack half of the run was the same. Third pass it slowed a little after a 1.274 60 ft due to geting out of shape slightly. I was told i was dripping something on both passes so i spent the evening under the car checking it out.
SUNDAY!SUNDAY!
8.854 at 154 32 mph! 60 ft was 1.275
I ran the car on sunday without an aircleaner or hood, just the scoop and its' base so the weight dropped to 3012 . the DA was 2500 on my Raceair Pro, web site Online Airdensity said 3100. But a couple of guys said go by my Raceair. I have no real evidance to say why the car gained 3.8 mph, just the lack of a hood and aircleaner. The aircleaner only showed a 4 or 5 hp loss on the dyno.
I am done racing with a hood though! Ten less pain in the arse dzus buttons to mess with to do anything under the hood!

I imagine you had a bucket load of water grains too.... tiz da season in the Nordern area

Humidity was 60 percent. Fall weather ought to be fun!

I'm curious. I was told if I run without a hood, I have to run a scoop attached to the carb, or an aircleaner, as a form of flame arrestor. Any info whether that is true or not?

I’d say that’s a win for a first time out. Do you think there are a couple 10ths in it with tuning? Didn’t you say you wanted to go 8.60s with it?

First off, weather was 2500 density altitude and 60 percent humidity. I hope to find .03 in the 60 fts, and if i run in 1500 air that ought to pick up another .03. The injection may be fat as i never dynoed it with a .084 main bypass pill which is 4 to 6 percent more fuel than my best dyno pull. So hopefully i will see 8.70s at least. Also i plan on testing with air cleaner and scoop, then just the air cleaner to see what it likes the best. It was a shocker to see a 3.8 mph gain from running without a hood and aircleaner. So i plan to test with aircleaner and no scoop as well as aircleaner and scoop.

Grains and humidity are not totally the same. That and or barometric psi is probably your mph difference.
conditions between runs with hood and aircleaner and without them were almost identical on my weather station.

I'm curious. I was told if I run without a hood, I have to run a scoop attached to the carb, or an aircleaner, as a form of flame arrestor. Any info whether that is true or not?
Must have covered carb

My new weather station, RaceAir Pro gives out two different alltitudes for weather. The first one i saw was Perf Altitude Density. 2427 on one test. I took this number to be Density Altitude. Then i scrowled down and found DENSITY ALTITUDE, or DA as most of us know it. Perf Altitude density readings are about 75 percent of DA readings! So actual DA readings, the reading many of us are used to, were higher by about 30 percent than i thought! The correction factor uses the same info as perf density for its calculation. It shows an et of 8.704 at sea level versus 8.854 actual at 1.0884 correction factor.

-
Back