572 Hemi / Is it Worth it?

-
Troy put in the Hemi with TTI headers and stock K-frame in a Dart on Saturday. Myself and some others helped/watched. Hemi dropped right in. Actually the body dropped over the Hemi. Putting it in from underneath was THE way to go. Like butter. It took about hour to get the motor in being very careful not to chip or nick anything. Faster than getting the small block and headers into my 68 Barracuda from up top.

This car was a full roller in 24 hour after he got it back from the paint shop this Friday September 2 at 3:30 pm!!

Ed Debevec's (715-267-7141) has complete pre fabbed A-body K-members now that headers are available. TTI has the out of the box headers. You shorten the stock steering column, alter/fab orginal trans dipstick or afermarket flex, and beat the fender if you want stock type valve covers.

This car actually has a S/S AFX hemi mount kit with K-frame spacers that Troy welded together.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,105
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 3,638
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 2,712
  • Untitled-7.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 2,114
  • PICT5814.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 2,110
  • Untitled-9.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,953

Some installations done by HemiDenny - flat hoods; no sheet metal mods.

HDinstall3.jpg
HDinstall4-3.jpg

HDinstall1-4.jpg
HDinstall2.jpg

How about a picture of the "K" member and what does it cost?

For what it is worth this book http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/19dabahessau.html details what was done "back in the day" and from what I remember some surgery was needed on the right inner fender. A friend has his Hemi sitting in his Dart and it is sitting right on the right inner fender. I just seen a Dart with a Hemi in it, with no surgery done to the inner fender. However, the steering column, which already had the sleeve taken off the outside, was rubbing on the head. My quess is the motor was pushed over to far to the left. I recently pm'ed abother Dart with a Hemi owner and he said to avoid chopping up the car he just installed the motor slightly higher than what it should have been.

For what it is worth this book http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/19dabahessau.html details what was done "back in the day" and from what I remember some surgery was needed on the right inner fender. A friend has his Hemi sitting in his Dart and it is sitting right on the right inner fender. I just seen a Dart with a Hemi in it, with no surgery done to the inner fender. However, the steering column, which already had the sleeve taken off the outside, was rubbing on the head. My quess is the motor was pushed over to far to the left. I recently pm'ed abother Dart with a Hemi owner and he said to avoid chopping up the car he just installed the motor slightly higher than what it should have been.

It's all about the centerline of the crankshaft.

Here's a picture of the position the centerline must be for the TTI headers to fit.

Attachments

• EnginePosition.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,841
  • TransPosition.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,780
Sorry for not being to clear, but that is what I meant.....

Sorry for not being to clear, but that is what I meant.....

In retrospect that whole area across should be beat down the same amount. Troy didn't beat down on the very sturdy middle section that has the heavy shock support brace under it. The valve cover does fit. But barely. And too close to do that way again.

nothingbutdarts....

if you want pics...start by going to the... 71 Dodge Demon Hemi Install thread .....in this forum....page 6..starting at post 131......pics of his K and the K I built for my silver Duster.....

more pics of K and install on the Member Restoration forum...A-Bodies/Big Motors..Hemi Duster final assembly

Here are the links:
if you want pics...start by going to the... 71 Dodge Demon Hemi Install thread .....in this forum....page 6..starting at post 131......pics of his K and the K I built for my silver Duster.....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=88358&page=6

more pics of K and install on the Member Restoration forum...A-Bodies/Big Motors..Hemi Duster final assembly

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=135839&page=10

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=135839&page=15

Here is Denny's next generation K-member that is being made now.
Not finish-welded yet, some X-bracing similar to earlier versions
will be added but the main purpose of these photos is to show
how the side rails are constructed.

Each succesive evolution is more compact and efficient. This type
utilizes a series of precision stamped plates to form the basic
assembly; it is very strong.

These mounts are for a '64 - '70 style Hemi but the basic K-frame
will accomodate virtually any powerplant.

P.M. HemiDenny for pricing.

K-Frames1062.jpg

K-Frames1060.jpg

K-Frames1059.jpg

K-Frames1065.jpg

Here is Denny's next generation K-member that is being made now.
Not finish-welded yet, some X-bracing similar to earlier versions
will be added but the main purpose of these photos is to show
how the side rails are constructed.

Each succesive evolution is more compact and efficient. This type
utilizes a series of precision stamped plates to form the basic
assembly; it is very strong.

These mounts are for a '64 - '70 style Hemi but the basic K-frame
will accomodate virtually any powerplant.

P.M. HemiDenny for pricing.

Are those made to run the new TTI Hemi headers?

Actually, in some ways it's easier to put a Hemi in than an RB motor. With the Hemi the headers come out the bottom, while the RB they come out the side necessitaiting all sorts of weird bends sparklug access annoyances. Yes, you can now make good power with an RB motor with todays heads & yes, the RB can be less finicky but it'll take more effort & more technology to get the power a Hemi naturally produces,
And if you're thinking of simply using the old fenderwell style headers to simplify the swapp you're now limiting yourself to wheel size & increasing your turning radius......

very true... hemi's with sure big ports like a lower duration high lift for good street use... it helps with fuel puddling...

Watch out for those World blocks dakotafarmer. My dad (Greg Fernald of SS and AFX) has built a lot of them and has come across defective blocks from world industries on several occasions. Yes, World is the manufacturer for the new Mopar branded hemi blocks. problems like blocked off oiling passages, and pinholes in the rear of the block are but two of several examples he has encountered using their blocks. Most have turned out ok but that is one expensive motor to build so quadruple check everything! Stage 5 is a great source for heads and valvetrain.

hear the latest? the "New" block we got because the old one was leaking oil out the water jackets... so now the new one has such bad core shift it we took it to 528 (4.5" bore) we would have been in water by about .150"!!! had as bad as .3" core shift down to a .1"...

as for fitting the hemi i apologize to ink as yes, the hemi will hit without fender mods but you cant get the Passenger side valve cover off lol...

Troy put in the Hemi with TTI headers and stock K-frame in a Dart on Saturday. Myself and some others helped/watched. Hemi dropped right in. Actually the body dropped over the Hemi. Putting it in from underneath was THE way to go. Like butter. It took about hour to get the motor in being very careful not to chip or nick anything. Faster than getting the small block and headers into my 68 Barracuda from up top.

This car was a full roller in 24 hour after he got it back from the paint shop this Friday September 2 at 3:30 pm!!

Ed Debevec's (715-267-7141) has complete pre fabbed A-body K-members now that headers are available. TTI has the out of the box headers. You shorten the stock steering column, alter/fab orginal trans dipstick or afermarket flex, and beat the fender if you want stock type valve covers.

This car actually has a S/S AFX hemi mount kit with K-frame spacers that Troy welded together.

you are the man! nobody does the blue coil except for us that ive seen! thats a good touch that is 100% correct...

you are the man! nobody does the blue coil except for us that ive seen! thats a good touch that is 100% correct...

That is Troy Bray's Dart. He used to be the Mopar Performance guy at Westoaks MP.

It's got the appropiate vintage Prestolite CD ignition box under the dash too!

I was just there helping.

autoxcuda...you might be a little confused....the NEW tti's are for running a standard steering box in a conventional Hemi K frame with torsion bar suspension

my package is for a rack/pinion steering and coilovers...

the steering box install requires a little sheetmetal modification and places the motor close to the original factory super stock cars

more costly....the rack and pinion package...like mine,but not all the same...does not require any sheetmtal mods....allows for a stock/flat hood....allows stock heater/A/C blower motor in engine compartment and obviously moves the motor lower and more centered

very true... hemi's with sure big ports like a lower duration high lift for good street use... it helps with fuel puddling...

hear the latest? the "New" block we got because the old one was leaking oil out the water jackets... so now the new one has such bad core shift it we took it to 528 (4.5" bore) we would have been in water by about .150"!!! had as bad as .3" core shift down to a .1"...

as for fitting the hemi i apologize to ink as yes, the hemi will hit without fender mods but you cant get the Passenger side valve cover off lol...
I have heard that the blocks are becoming a problem. Does World Products still even offer the iron block??

autoxcuda...you might be a little confused....the NEW tti's are for running a standard steering box in a conventional Hemi K frame with torsion bar suspension

my package is for a rack/pinion steering and coilovers...

the steering box install requires a little sheetmetal modification and places the motor close to the original factory super stock cars

more costly....the rack and pinion package...like mine,but not all the same...does not require any sheetmtal mods....allows for a stock/flat hood....allows stock heater/A/C blower motor in engine compartment and obviously moves the motor lower and more centered

Just wanted to know what specific headers were planned/setup to go with your system.

I have heard that the blocks are becoming a problem. Does World Products still even offer the iron block??

well they due thru mopar as it has a mopar part number...

but they shouldn't... were gonna be on the 3rd engine for this customers car... and it hasn't left yet... were months behind cuz somebody cant do a little FREAKING quality control...

were looking into a Company called HP performance out of SoCal. they make a 4.5" bore block but has a more stock appearance... there about 500 more but it maybe worth it...

hey sscuda...did I read right?....a slightly larger?....than Farmers 572?....in your wifes car?

man...you play for keeps...
whose aluminum block?
modified stock K frame or tubular (front steer rack/pinion)?

latter stages of build???....where's the build thread?....I (we) want to see....how about sharing?....we do!

Denny

Hello Denny,

LOL!!! Next time PM me!!!!!

I really need to read these threads a little closer. Sorry, the last few weeks I have been busy elsewhere. (Mopar Nats, Moparfest, US Nationals, etc.) I have been resoponding to my PM's for parts for sale or wanted.

I have a '68 Cuda 25.5 spec car (Twisted Fish) that I play with once in a while. I had a thread on the build last year or so but got lazy with the final updates. I run a 437 in. "stock" Race Hemi /727 when we run SS events but we have a 655 in. all aluminum Race Hemi /TH400 in it now. Funding is tight so we run a limited number of events. This year I was out once for A NSS event and my competitiors took exception to my ET's vs. the NSS classification. Seems they didn't like an elephant running (taking over) the show. Go figure.

In between the two Cudas I have my son's 73 Duster 440 super pro car we are putting together.

Anyway back to the original questions/answers:

I bought the '69 Cuda from KillerB (Long Island) last May. It was in good shape rust wise. Perfect for what I wanted anyway. The price was OK.

The plan was to build a streetable "street car" that my wife could drive or race.

I replaced all the body panels with the exception of the roof. The quarters are steel aftermarket pieces, the doors are acid dipped original pieces (gutted), the decklid and bumpers are from AAR, and the front end glass panels are from Sled City fiberglass. The entire body has been block sanded and primed in a urethane high build primer. The underside was just pressure washed. and will get a coat of chassis black.

The floor pan was perfect so I left it virtually untouched except for mini-tubbing.

The front suspension is Alterkation with a rack.

I'm talking to DTS and Strange about a Dana 60 right now. Whoever comes up with the best price will build it.

Brakes are Force 10 by SSBC.

I'm currently mini-tubbing the rear wheel wells(tubs are done), relocating springs perches, welding in frame connectors and torque boxes. I should be done by the end of this week.

The right shock tower is next for cutting and rework . The blower motor has been removed and an aluminum plate made to cover the hole. I bought a master cylinder relocation kit from Mancini as well as a poly carbonate (plastic) master cylinder.

Stock gas tank with added sump, aeromotive pump and filter, SS braided lines. Brake lines still need to be run.

My engine builder and long time friend had a brand new 604 in. all aluminum Hemi that he built for a NSS racer. (World Block and Stage 5 heads) It was detuned (compression/cam) to run pump gas. I'm still running the Hogan Cross Ram and 2 Quick Fuel 750 cfm carbs but I may have to switch for a shorter cross ram such as the Mopar Parts version. Dyno testing will tell us where we need to go.

My transmission builder and long time friend has a full manual 727 he's putting together for me. We are discussing the converter this week.

The interior will have Recarro (Viper ACR) seats, SCS shifter, full SS (light weight) Kramers carpet, 10 point roll bar, tach and oil pressure with the stock gages. I have an old friend who works for Recarro (Johnson Controls) , thus the seat choice. I've been told by the boss I have to run a back seat so that is under redesign now.

Once I get everything together I'll blow it apart and paint the body which should be mid October. Over the winter I will fully assemble the car. It should be out on the road by April /'12

I tried to upload pictures when I started the build but they wouldn't take so I said to heck with it. (not in those exact words) I didn't have any problems last year, has the procedure changed?

Let me know and I'll post some pictures.

sscuda

hey sscuda...thanks for the reply....I love conversing with other A body/Hemi/big block hot rodders...

Its the only way I learn anything.....

don't feel bad about ignoring me...I'm pretty used to it......my wife does it all the time

Mopar to ya'
Denny

autoxcuda...no problem...I guess Bro John (Old Man Mopar) already answered the header application for me

hey sscuda...thanks for the reply....I love conversing with other A body/Hemi/big block hot rodders...

Its the only way I learn anything.....

don't feel bad about ignoring me...I'm pretty used to it......my wife does it all the time

Mopar to ya'
Denny

OK - somebody walk me through this uploading pictures and I'll post a few.

sscuda

-
Back