6.1 hemi 727 - Need advice on headers and starter

-

funkyflynz

Reaction score
Guys,

Im after some advice please,

Im retro fitting a gen3 6.1 hemi into my A-body (Australian charger) running an RMS AlterKation front end, im planning on using TTI headers - http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Header-TTI...ails-6164A.htm, they recommend a powermaster 9523 starter but ive read some bad things about them, while searching for options I came across this starter - http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...r_starter.html

Ive spoken to RobbMC and Sam at TTI, but neither was able to confirm if the RobbMC starter would work with the 6.1/727/TTI combo.

Just wondering if anyone on here has by chance run a similar combo or has any advice?

Much appreciated​

The only issue with any 727 small block hi-torque starter when fitted to a G3 is the clearancing between the pan rail and the body of the starter.

The pan rail has two protruding bolt holes on each side where the larger factory pan bolts locate into the rail.

In normal circumstances these are just ground back to about half size to allow for fitting of the starter.(when using the Milodon pan)

So....as long as the dimensions are similar between starters I cant see why you'd have an issue.

Maybe call them back and ask for the circumference of the body of both......thatll tell you if there's likely to be a hitch.

i had a long story with both companies. TTI was recomending the Robbmc on their page. I ordered but the robbmc was a bit too long. Hitting the headder. The sent me a new Starter free of charge. The 5.7 Truck Starter when I remember right. Fits perfect and very cheap. Ask Sam, but its nearly 2 years ago. But they changed the homepage immediately. I can search for e-mails and pictures if you want..

i had a long story with both companies. TTI was recomending the Robbmc on their page. I ordered but the robbmc was a bit too long. Hitting the headder. The sent me a new Starter free of charge. The 5.7 Truck Starter when I remember right. Fits perfect and very cheap. Ask Sam, but its nearly 2 years ago. But they changed the homepage immediately. I can search for e-mails and pictures if you want..

Very interesting, i asked RobbMc about the length of his starter motor, as its 1 inch longer than the powermaster, his reply was....

"Our starter will clear the headers better than the Powermaster. Check the drawings on this page for more info: http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/starter_home.html#comparison

I have no idea why TTI says that the Powermaster starter is the only one that fits. Perhaps the instructions were written before our starter was available, or perhaps they are taking in to account that our starter won't clear some aftermarket blocks when using 130 tooth ring gear. "

RobbMc was good to deal with and offered to refund me if it didnt fit, but as i live in New Zealand shipping it back isnt an option.

Some photos and info on that starter would be good, i take it you are running the 6.1 and 727?

Cheers

Lee

The only issue with any 727 small block hi-torque starter when fitted to a G3 is the clearancing between the pan rail and the body of the starter.

The pan rail has two protruding bolt holes on each side where the larger factory pan bolts locate into the rail.

In normal circumstances these are just ground back to about half size to allow for fitting of the starter.(when using the Milodon pan)

So....as long as the dimensions are similar between starters I cant see why you'd have an issue.

Maybe call them back and ask for the circumference of the body of both......thatll tell you if there's likely to be a hitch.

Thanks for the info, ive attatched a photo showing what i think you mean, This photo shows TTI headers and a powermaster stater (which i dont want to use) Two two bolt holes sit just below the yellow arrow tips in the photo correct?

Lee

Attachments

• starter.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,164
That's what I am referring to - yes.

However I have to put my hand up and say I didn't realise starter length could be an issue - probably because Im not running full tube headers...so its good Buschi340 posted.

that might be the reason. I have a 130 teeth flywheel with 5speed. So if the starter moves closer to the block it might fit with the lenght and the pipe routing. But I cant promise.
enclosed a pic i found. Robbmc next to stock Mopar ( pretty cheap at summit )...

Attachments

• starter robbmc vs 5.7mopar small.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,266
you can see the magnetic switch goes upwards. So if there is space it will fit.
Btw I really had problems to sell the robb starter here in Germany ;-)

you can see the magnetic switch goes upwards. So if there is space it will fit.
Btw I really had problems to sell the robb starter here in Germany ;-)

This is crazy, You have TTI headers on a 6.1 and a stock Mopar starter that TTI sent you that fits fine, why dont TTI tell me that this stock starter will work????

I emailed TTI again yesterday, i was hoping maybe they have more options now for starters, but they are still telling me - "The 9523 is the only starter that will bolt on your application without any modification. The Powermaster #9543 is the starter that we had problems with. I believe that it was discontinued."

Maybe you should email Sam at TTI and explain your setup to him.

[email protected]

ok, did a lil search in my 2011 e-mails.... short cut..... :
Btw I dicussed with Robbmc also. They refered to TTI and made the connection.

Von: Sam Davis [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. Juli 2011 00:52
An: Busch, Michael
Betreff: RE: Mopar Mini-Starter - PN 2005

Hi Michael,

I have reviewed your starter issue. I see that the footnote was incorrect. The RobbMc starter is used for the TTI6.1 HCA header. The starter that is required for the TTI6.1HC header is a Chrysler starter part no. 56029274 AA. I have attached photos of the correct starter.

Sam

I do understand that you are extremely upset and rightly so. I am also upset with our web site people. A simple mistake turns into a problem for both you and me. I will buy the correct starter and send it to you at no charge. There are several applications that do require the Robbmc starter. Possibly you can sell it to someone there.
E-mail to me the exact address to ship the new starter to you and I will do so.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 951
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_0931.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 924
  • tti robbmc 1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 919
  • tti robbmc.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 970
i can add the issues I had with the engine mounts too :)

Thats really good info thanks, So you brought the TTI6.1HC headers? You retained the stcok cross member by the looks of things, ive got an RMS AlterKation crossmember, so i will be getting the TTI6.1 HCA headers which must be quite a bit different to yours as Sam talks about different model starts for each type of headers.

I think i will just have to go with the Powermaster Starter TTI says will work, and just hope the starter is actually ok, ive read good and bad reports about it.

Thats really good info thanks, So you brought the TTI6.1HC headers? You retained the stcok cross member by the looks of things, ive got an RMS AlterKation crossmember, so i will be getting the TTI6.1 HCA headers which must be quite a bit different to yours as Sam talks about different model starts for each type of headers.

I think i will just have to go with the Powermaster Starter TTI says will work, and just hope the starter is actually ok, ive read good and bad reports about it.

Just got my headers TTI6.1 HCA and the PowerMaster 9523 hits the header tube!!!! E-mail off to TTI. GGGGRRRRR

Attachments

• IMG_0504 arrows.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 888
Just got my headers TTI6.1 HCA and the PowerMaster 9523 hits the header tube!!!! E-mail off to TTI. GGGGRRRRR

That is crap! im not going to buy anything from TTI, the amount of problems people have had with theire products is shocking! its not like there headers are cheap either! Lwet me know what they reply, would be interesting to hear.

I had the same starter same problem. But I was able to clock it and get enough clearance. Glad you got it worked out.

Aj

That is crap! im not going to buy anything from TTI, the amount of problems people have had with theire products is shocking! its not like there headers are cheap either! Lwet me know what they reply, would be interesting to hear.

I found the problem today when I got a very quick reply back from TTI. They sent 3 photos of their mockup with the headers and 9523 starter and there is lots of clearance - (except you have to do a bit of grinding on the block - which is no big deal)

Then I looked closer at their photos and the starter shown has 5 clockable positions as opposed to only 4 on my new one!!! It needs the 5th position to clear the header pipe!!
I'm waiting to hear back from Powermaster - but sure looks like they made a design change from 5 to 4 positions.
The first photo shows a closeup of TTI's mockup and 5 position starter and the 2nd shows my new starter with 4 positions.

Bottom line- until I hear otherwise - DO NOT buy the TTI6.1HCA headers and a new 9523 starter - they will interfere.

Attachments

• TTI 6 1 HCA - POWERMASTER 9523 ADJUSTABLE - 3 cropped.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 869
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 784
I just checked to ensure I had full engagement of the starter gear with the flywheel - and I dont!! GGGGRRRR, mumble, mumble, @#$%^&

Attachments

• IMG_0555.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 819
-
Back