/6 advice

-

jomoper

Mope or Nope
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Need some advice .Just bought a 73 Dart with a 225 /6 w A904 trans .car had been sitting for aprox 2 years . Got it home yesterday .This morning I pulled all the plugs shot a little oil into each cyl . Replaced fuel filter,fuel hose .gasket on carb,put 5 gallons new fuel in the tank .
Drained what I could of the old gas from the lines . Engine would not start at first . Seemed to be chugging a bit but would not fire on a hunch I replaced the electronic ign. control module with the one from My 72 dart w-318 and a mopar perf. orange box engine started right away !
engine idles smooth but when I put it in gear it struggles when I push the accelerator pedal .in park it seemes to rev ok .
Just trying to narrow down My search.
First the orange box has one less pin than the stock harness would this cause the ignition to break up ?
Also the heat block off valve in the exhaust manifold appears to be stuck could this be choking off the engine ? My gut tells me it's a transmission problem as I really gotta sneak up on the throttle when it's in gear or it will die but once it starts moving it seems to gain momentum.
Not looking to get this thing highway worthy just got to be able to drive it in and outta the garage while I work on it. drivetrain will be replaced by a 360 & 727 . Thanks,Joe

It sounds like you did everything but a valve adjustment. Those engines have solid lifters in them and it's quite possible that you have a tight valve. Or there could be some surface rust on some of the valve seats from sitting over the years too.
Pull the rocker cover off and check the lash. I think they call for .010" int. and .020" exh. and it should be done hot while running.
If this happens to help you will likely have to readjust them again after you put some miles on it and the crud burns off the seats.

Ted

Check your vacuum advance line to the dist, it could be leaking and not advancing or the advance is stuck from sitting, and or the accelerator pump in the carb is rotten. Just a thought.

Need some advice .Just bought a 73 Dart with a 225 /6 w A904 trans .car had been sitting for aprox 2 years . Got it home yesterday .This morning I pulled all the plugs shot a little oil into each cyl . Replaced fuel filter,fuel hose .gasket on carb,put 5 gallons new fuel in the tank .
Drained what I could of the old gas from the lines . Engine would not start at first . Seemed to be chugging a bit but would not fire on a hunch I replaced the electronic ign. control module with the one from My 72 dart w-318 and a mopar perf. orange box engine started right away !
engine idles smooth but when I put it in gear it struggles when I push the accelerator pedal .in park it seemes to rev ok .
Just trying to narrow down My search.
First the orange box has one less pin than the stock harness would this cause the ignition to break up ?
Also the heat block off valve in the exhaust manifold appears to be stuck could this be choking off the engine ? My gut tells me it's a transmission problem as I really gotta sneak up on the throttle when it's in gear or it will die but once it starts moving it seems to gain momentum.
Not looking to get this thing highway worthy just got to be able to drive it in and outta the garage while I work on it. drivetrain will be replaced by a 360 & 727 . Thanks,Joe
Joe
Your orange box is fine. Mopar changed from 5 to 4 pin over the years and the only difference is the ground is now more critical than before.
The heat block off can cause the symptoms you are describing. Make sure you dont throw the slant any of its sheet metal or the trans away as those of us that race them always need spares.:toothy10:
Frank

Thanks for all the advice guys. I know I got a lot more tuning to do .
I'm just stoked the engine runs at all !:toothy10:

......put 5 gallons new fuel in the tank .
Drained what I could of the old gas from the lines........There may still be some contaminated gas dilluting the new gas you put in.....and the spark plugs are probably crudball too.

but when I put it in gear it struggles when I push the accelerator pedal .in park it seemes to rev ok. The carb is probably dirty and the accelerator pump is shot.

Also the heat block off valve in the exhaust manifold appears to be stuck could this be choking off the engine ? Naw, it's not going to "choke anything off"....it just directs some of the exhaust heat up toward the intake manifold when the engine's cold. Move it around by hand and try to free it up.

My gut tells me it's a transmission problem as I really gotta sneak up on the throttle when it's in gear or it will die but once it starts moving it seems to gain momentum. Naw, I'm thinking cruddy carb......you could kit it.....or not. The car might run better if you left it on fast idle for about 20 minutes. Just make sure the cooling system is topped off with no air pockets. You did change the oil, right?

Let us know how things progress!

Thank you all for the great advice ,And yes changing the carb made a huge difference .Thanks to damraider for that ! and Thanks to dustermaniac for the ignition control box.Two great fabo goodguys ! I'm gonna get the brakes sorted out and then I'll look into adjusting the valves and giving it a proper tune up.

-
Back