/6 ?

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
When did they start putting hyd cams and lifters in 225 /6? I searched here and /6.org and couldn't find a answer.

The newest one that I owned was 1980 and was a solid lifter engine. Not long after they changed 81 or 82 maybe ???

There was some talk about this over at slantsix.org. Don't hold me to it but something about oiling ? cam bearings ? oil grove in cam ? something like that,,.

Is it hard to change over to a HYD cam?
Yes, no better than a properly adjusted solid. My 67 motor purrs like a kitten sitting on a sewing machine, no valve noise at all. And no vibration either, can balance a pencil on the intake at idle

'81 was first year for all slants to have hydro lifters. There was a small production test run in '78. You need a hydraulic cam with a grooved rearmost cam journal (or ungrooved rear cam journal but grooved rearmost cam bearing) for oil feed via the head through the rocker shaft and rocker arms down to the top-feed lifters via the hollow pushrods. You also need the rocker shaft, rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters.

Er-ruh…why do you want to do this? The solid cam selection is much broader.

'81 was first year for all slants to have hydro lifters. There was a small production test run in '78. You need a hydraulic cam with a grooved rearmost cam journal (or ungrooved rear cam journal but grooved rearmost cam bearing) for oil feed via the head through the rocker shaft and rocker arms down to the top-feed lifters via the hollow pushrods. You also need the rocker shaft, rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters.

2x....

Not to mention more powerful.

It would make it easier on me physically to be able to maintain the engine properly and the same reason I cannot drive a manual trans car or truck no more. My back and legs won't let me.

It would make it easier on me physically to be able to maintain the engine properly and the same reason I cannot drive a manual trans car or truck no more. My back and legs won't let me.
I'd keep the solid cam (if yours is still good) even if I had to hire someone to adjust them occasionally. The cost to hire someone to change the cam over to hydrolic would fund valve adjustments for many years.

You caint prove Erson is even still in business to me. Much as I've called and many emails as I've sent with no response.

Sig Erson Cams seems to be a subsidiary of PBM Performance Products. Whether they are still actively developing products or living off of past success is unclear.

You caint prove Erson is even still in business to me. Much as I've called and many emails as I've sent with no response.

well i called mr gasket and they forwarded me to them where i got a rep for Erson... i wanted to talk to John so i was forwarded again... left a message and never got a return...

Sig Erson Cams seems to be a subsidiary of PBM Performance Products. Whether they are still actively developing products or living off of past success is unclear.

and they have been for quite some time(with PBM) but you might be right, selling of inventory....

i called comp today seeing what cams they can do and i like there .396 lobe lift/259 @ .050 cam... but for 200 and the time i know of some roller rockers i can get a hold of and keep my better duration...

Comp will grind you any damn thing you want though.

Comp will grind you any damn thing you want though.

Not quite...

I wanted a .500-lift, (with stock rockers), 220/228 duration @ .050" flat tappet /6 cam with 114-degree lobe separation, and was told by Comp Cams, "no can do."

They said, "We don't have any blanks to support those numbers (turbo cam.")

So, I did the next best thing; I had them grind me a .484"-lift, 200/220 duration @ .050"-lift, cam with 114-degrees of lobe separation. Now, I'm on the prowl, for a REASONABLY-PRICED set of 1.6:1 rockers to get the lift I wanted.

This all started when I wanted a /6 roller tappet cam... they won't grind that, either, unless you supply them with a $1,000.00 roller "blank." And, maybe not, then...

So, don't think that Comp Cams will grind you "any damned thing you want," because they won't...

Not quite...

I wanted a .500-lift, (with stock rockers), 220/228 duration @ .050" flat tappet /6 cam with 114-degree lobe separation, and was told by Comp Cams, "no can do."

They said, "We don't have any blanks to support those numbers (turbo cam.")

So, I did the next best thing; I had them grind me a .484"-lift, 200/220 duration @ .050"-lift, cam with 114-degrees of lobe separation. Now, I'm on the prowl, for a REASONABLY-PRICED set of 1.6:1 rockers to get the lift I wanted.

This all started when I wanted a /6 roller tappet cam... they won't grind that, either, unless you supply them with a $1,000.00 roller "blank." And, maybe not, then...

So, don't think that Camp Cams will grind you "any damned thing you want," because they won't...

crower will make you a whole custom billet one:cheers: when i do my MEGA 6 thats what it will have

crower will make you a whole custom billet one:cheers: when i do my MEGA 6 thats what it will have

Are you saying they will grind a roller? Where do they get the blank, and how much $$$$ are you talking about?

And, what is a "MEGA 6"?????????

Are you saying they will grind a roller? Where do they get the blank, and how much $$$$ are you talking about?

And, what is a "MEGA 6"?????????

from a peice of billet steel you can grind a cane if you like! there is no black its a complete cnc cam... money... lots of it im sure...

a mega 6 is the race motor im building in my head... n/a of course...

from a peice of billet steel you can grind a cane if you like! there is no black its a complete cnc cam... money... lots of it im sure...

a mega 6 is the race motor im building in my head... n/a of course...

Well, I'm sure that if you have the money to spend, you can get anything you want.

Unfortunately (for me,) I am on a "fixed income" and it's not "fixed" very well, so I have to do what I can afford. And, that means not having to deal with the steep uphill battle that comes with trying to get race car numbers out of a normally-aspirated motor with a strangulated cylinder head. I can't afford the protracted and difficult battle that is facing anyone who chooses to obtain meaningful cylinder-filling (300 cfm) with the only head available to us, that OEM piece that was designed with 170 cubic inches of displacement in mind.

If I had that kind of money, I'd probably build a 300 Ford 6, which has a running start at some decent flow numbers to begin with (4-inch bore means plenty of room for bigger valves.)

But, I'm not a Ford man, and I like to go fast, so I choose the option for ME that makes more sense; forced induction.

All of the breathing problems associated with the /6 head disappear when the intake ports are treated to 25 pounds+ of boost, and the cost is something I can (just barely) afford.

It just makes sense, in my particular case.

Building a normally-aspirated '6 racer is admirable, but not something I can do.... Too old, and too tired.... and, too steep a hill.:angry7:

-
Back