$60 Carpet w/lots of pictures

-

Serj22

Reaction score
So this is a gradual project over today and tomorrow, all based on suggestions in the "Lower Cost Carpet Options" thread. I started by gutting the front half of the carpet and lifting out the driver and passenger seat. Sorry no pics of the seat removal, but I figure another thread covers that, or possibly several.

I don't have a shot of the old carpet so much, as I have a picture of my least favorite part of it - right over the transmission tunnel.

CAM00354_zps2f9f50f4.jpg

You can probably see why I needed a new carpet? That's right - because it's green and didn't match the floor mats -AT ALL!

Oh there's some stuffing coming out of there too - hmm.

So I ripped the front carpet section out like a savage beast and threw it out of the car in a giant clump of dust and yellow padding.

Underneath was a pleasant surprise - no water, and no real bad rust. In fact, it looks like the carpet came out to paint the car. They went through a lot of trouble to paint the floor copper, but not the interior door panels - those are still dark green. Go figure...

CAM00355_zps6468bf0e.jpg

Now, I went to Lowe's and got the Peel and Seal stuff. I got three rolls. They were in the wrong spot so I got each one for $8.95. They are usually $15.00 and I found out they are intended for window flashing. This may be why I could not find them in the roofing section. This stuff stuck down VERY well, and I used one roll - and got the driver's side, and the transmission hump done, on the front half of the car. I ran the hump laterally across the car (door to door) and the floor pans bumper to bumper. It just seemed logical to me.

CAM00356_zpsbc241ae7.jpg

CAM00357_zps1dfa6a40.jpg

I overlapped everything about 1" and then ran some laterally up near the dashboard and firewall.

CAM00358_zpsdd5543f8.jpg

So part of one roll covered the passenger side. So I'd say if you cover everything thoroughly, the front takes 1.25 rolls of PeelnSeal.

I got two rolls of Autozone replacement carpet. It is made of recycled material so when I drive my pre-smog car around I can feel like I have helped the environment in some way...

Each roll is $9.99 and I have found that every autozone seems to carry about 2 rolls at a time, and that's it. So you may need to go to 2 seperate automotive stores if you want 3 rolls. I am going to say that it may take 3 rolls to do the interior. The front roll, when matched at the original carpet seam, leaves about 4" up on the firewall that still needs to be covered - to hit the original carpet coverage. The third roll can be used to get that space, as well as the rear parcel shelf.

CAM00359_zps792720f2.jpg

I layed out one roll, and slid the center under the air vent-y thing-y that is in the center of the car. (you can tell I'm a scientist cause I use big words). I forgot to snap a picture of the center, but trust me - there is a center to the carpet. I put spray adhesive ($8.00) on the center of the hump, in between the two bucket seat locations. then ran the carpet into the driver's side and then put spray adhesive all over the floor, and worked it out with my hand, moved it out to the edges, stuffed 6" of excess under the kick panel, and then cut the edge 2" longer than needed and screwed the door sill to it.

CAM00360_zpsb0d30c56.jpg

CAM00361_zpscb093bb1.jpg

Now I am working out the passenger side. So far I spent about $60.00 to do the carpet, and feel like I won't need anything else - besides a third roll of carpet. So I just went inside to type this out real quick, and try and be thorough about it. It's getting dark, but I drank a rockstar so I'm still good to go and there's carpet to lay. I may end it at the front side for today and continue the rest in the morning, but quitters never win. We'll see. Oh and just wait till you see what i have planned for the heel guards. You'll call me a genius and probably everyone will send me money to further my advances in super professional upholstery science. None of you thought to glue a car seat cover to the seat, well - maybe you did. But I copyrighted it - well I want to...

how does it fit over the hump?

Honestly. So far it fits over the hump like crap. I'm heating it and smoothing it now. It's tough to get it to lay down. It's a little wrinkled basically. But if you have a center console it won't matter. I don't have one though. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Regardless there is no turning back now. Even if it's wrinkled it looks better than the old stuff. I

yeah the hump allways causes issues....heating it is a good ideah though....i donthave any carpet in my car at all right now so very interested to see how this works out..

For the time and effort I would just spend the 140 and buy the pre fit carpet ready to go. I all ready did but im just saying....

For the time and effort I would just spend the 140 and buy the pre fit carpet ready to go. I all ready did but im just saying....
don't worry. That's the way I feel about it as well. It took about six hours total nut its done. I'd say I'd rather buy a pre fit one in the future. But for now comparing this to the old junk or no carpet at all. The difference is night and day. Pics in a bit.

Got the back side in, which was 100 times more difficult than the front. It took about 2 hours for the front, and four for the back. I also definitly recommend that third roll of carpet to hit the firewall, unless you manage to get it perfect. It won't overlap at the stock seam location if you push it up the firewall correctly. Totally up to you.

CAM00374_zps853be8aa.jpg

I had to fudge a little on the hump, as the back was way more difficult. I still think overall, it turned out ok. It's better than the raw torn green that it was.

CAM00372_zpse98a8eb0.jpg

CAM00368_zps9df02430.jpg

-
Back