**600hp sbm block limit? Or is it bs!!**

-
Thanks, I still need to call you too. I am not ignoring you, just really busy.

He is cool, just a little "mad" at times when it comes to boost. Haha. No seriously, A Procharger is an awesome piece. I have had a hand in a 434" Chivvy with a F3R and a Ford with a F2R. I have to say the Chevy hated the Procharger and it worked the front of the crank and broke it a few times. It now has a Big block snout on a Callies Magnum crank, problem solved. I think his highest HP number was in the 1400 range at the tires at 24 pounds of boost. The Ford had a Windsor and never broke the crank but it did drop a valve at 8500 on the dyno twice before we found that it was so lean on one cylinder that it melted the TI exhaust valve. We used a wide band O2 sensor and it indicated we were rich and I finally welded an O2 bung in each tube and made a few easy pulls to find that it wanted a jet in the right rear that was 10 jet sizes bigger than the rest. That why I was making a big deal about hats and blow through carbs. Point is that I think the Procharger will work well, I am interested to see how the snout holds up. I would inspect it after each trip to the track. If you can catch it early it can be fixed. I would also consider machining the crank for 2 keyways. Oh, and I like those aluminum W2s!!

I have had a little experience with half hard block (not in one of my Mopars, it was a procharged Ford actually) it seems to work fine if you go to the bottom of the freeze plugs. Oil temp is key. If it gets hot it will kill the bearings.

what cam spec would u chose 4 my build? 4.1 bore, 3.8(3.79) storck, crank, 8.9-1 comp, head flow on the int. 303@500, 315@600, 321@700, and on the ext 221@500, 221@600, 224@700. i did half fill my block and this is a street car also it is going to b a 4sd car i have gotting a lot of -feed back on useing the 4sd. but i like beening the underdog. im have the indy 360-1 intake. i am use an f1 not an f1r. what is the max hp u think i can get out of this combo,

iv seen a block like that on the last page but it was a Chev junk ,but anyways it was a dirt engine and it ran the rev limiter a lot nowt I'm going to shoot a theory , now i think why thees engines fale a lot of guys run it on the rev limmiter at the line and its picking and choosing cylinder but the fuel never shots off on thoughts cylinders at lets say 5500 at the line and i think it and when you hit he trans break it gives it more rpm and pulling in more fuel and i think it kind like cylinder hydraulic hence broken rods and pistons what you think.???

Like has already been said, it beat up the bearing pretty good.

As far as a Hydo Lock, i can't see it.
lets pic a 340 with high compression and say the total volume in the combustion chamber, at top dead center (tdc) 64 cc.

64 cc of fuel, in One intake stroke, too one intake runner/cyl, would be A Lot of fuel.

Well i got no pics, but if your looking for more than 600hp i know that using mounts on the block will show the walls are effected by using a mount...same holds true for the bb's
So you want to use ears when you get beyond 450hp...
Are you using a la or mag.... i wouldn't trust a mag block
Seriously?

Where are you getting your information from?

So what I want to know is "Where" are the guys that are supposedly "GURU" Small Block guys who always post that 600HP is a stock blocks limit?? People are taking what you say seriously and as if it is "GOD" speaking when you say these things, yet I have not found 1 piece of evidence from any of you as of yet....

Here is your chance to Prove all your talk.....

So again, lets see some Cap Walk Proof, Cylinder Wall Movement Proof or Block Breaking Proof that you all speak of on a regular basis........ Yes I am calling you out on it! This is not the time to be shy!

We have had this discussion many times over at Racemagnum, and nobody can ever prove that statement when they make it.

I was putting nearly 500 to the tires in a 4x4 Dakota, and making consistent 12 second passes in it with a 390 stroker on nitrous. The same 390 that's going into my Dart in the spring. Miraculously, the block didn't explode and kill everyone in a 5 mile radius. I'm surprised, since those small blocks are "junk". LOL!

It's a Magnum too. Imagine that.

We have had this discussion many times over at Racemagnum, and nobody can ever prove that statement when they make it.

I was putting nearly 500 to the tires in a 4x4 Dakota, and making consistent 12 second passes in it with a 390 stroker on nitrous. The same 390 that's going into my Dart in the spring. Miraculously, the block didn't explode and kill everyone in a 5 mile radius. I'm surprised, since those small blocks are "junk". LOL!

It's a Magnum too. Imagine that.

Yeah nobody can prove it here either, at least alot of people have seen this thread now and when they hear someone say 600HP is the limit they will know it is only a "myth" that has been busted!

On another note, how much does your Dakota weigh??

Yeah nobody can prove it here either, at least alot of people have seen this thread now and when they hear someone say 600HP is the limit they will know it is only a "myth" that has been busted!

It was around 4800 with me in it. Those 3rd gen pigs were really heavy. Especially the 4x4 club cab trucks. That's what I was racing for a bit until I killed the trans and bought a Dart instead. LOL!

I was talking to my machinies today about my 4" stroker build.(truck sold so it is a go!!!)

Told him it was going to be based off of a early 360 block. Told him i wanted a stout bottom end with out going crazy in dollars.

Told him that it was going to be farly mild to begin with but wanted plenty of room to add Hp latter on.

His statement to me. :Should be able to make around 800 HP. I will call you tomorrow with more details.

I just studdard,.... and said OK =P~ LOL

what cam spec would u chose 4 my build? 4.1 bore, 3.8(3.79) storck, crank, 8.9-1 comp, head flow on the int. 303@500, 315@600, 321@700, and on the ext 221@500, 221@600, 224@700. i did half fill my block and this is a street car also it is going to b a 4sd car i have gotting a lot of -feed back on useing the 4sd. but i like beening the underdog. im have the indy 360-1 intake. i am use an f1 not an f1r. what is the max hp u think i can get out of this combo,

Cam selection is a tough one. I have been on both sides of the coin. When you pick the wrong cam it sucks. I dont think I have yet to nail the right cam so I dont think I would be a very good source. The Procharger cars are fairly easy to make big power. Pick the cam that will make good naturally aspirated HP and thats what we have done before. I recommend you call your favorite cam grinder and talk about it. Call more than one and then pick the one you like. I would suspect that with the Procharger set on kill you could could make 1000 flywheel hp. I know the F2r on the Ford makes 1000 at 15 pounds boost and another friend made 1500 RWHP with a F2R.

Which 4 gear you using?

That's one of my friends I've mentioned to you in the past Louis.:-D

The other guy whose dyno sheets and engine I showed you that made like 850-900hp flywheel may chime in, but I think all he cares about at this point is food and taking care of his whizzer...joe's just a youngin. LOL

These are all magnum blocks...that suck.

The other guy whose dyno sheets and engine I showed you that made like 850-900hp flywheel may chime in, but I think all he cares about at this point is food and taking care of his whizzer...joe's just a youngin. LOL

Yeah, we're just old dummies who like carbs and those crappy Magnum blocks that break when you look at them the wrong way. :joker:

just thinking how many runs do you think you will get before you have to check your bearings on thees engines 950 to the tire or crank is lot of jam and torque the same ,thats a lot of stress on a engine that was base on 350hp. but like every one said there no Prof that it wont take it.I'm just wondering how much you wrench on them that all.or are they high hp engines only 1/4 mile engines. i would do back flips to now my block is good for 1000hp with out worrying about it.

I have about 50 passes on the 390, and the only reason I opened it up was to change the oil pan to fit my Dart.

Now, I'm not making that kind of power, but I am not worried about it in the slightest bit. It's well balanced, and I don't have to spin a boatload of RPM to make good power, so that's a good recipe for a long life.

I am also a big fan of using the best parts (within reason) you can afford when you build an engine.

Fast, Reliable, Cheap

Pick any 2.

Yeah that truck haul's some azzz and it weighs alot too!! More weight = more stress on the driveline.

Alot of good information here with several different kinds of combo's.

Magnum Blocks is now also a "Myth that is Busted"!!!

rnaz Yeah, we're just old dummies who like carbs and those crappy Magnum blocks that break when you look at them the wrong way.

That truly is funny now with all the real life experience here!:wack:

Yeah that truck haul's some azzz and it weighs alot too!! More weight = more stress on the driveline.

That truly is funny now with all the real life experience here!:wack:

I would like to know where that BS rumor came from. I have heard it thrown around all over the place, and every time someone says something to me I ask them:

"Have you ever actually broken one yourself, or was it your "friend" or "uncle's cousin's wife's friend's boss"? LOL!

I haven't gotten an answer to that question yet. It's always hearsay, and never any actual facts.

this is great to hear i like this thread lots of good info when i had my block bored the machine shop told me my block took more pressure to bore them his high dollar dart block which should tell you a little something.??

I certainly don't fear hitting my setup with a 150 shot, and I'm running 11:1 compression.

So it's kind of safe to say an A-body is likely able to get away with a good deal more than that if a big heavy dakota can do that....or even a POS Dakota for that matter. lol

That seems like a safe bet. I have no worries about anything in my driveline. The 904 will be built right, the 8-3/4 rear end is stout, and the engine is nearly bullet proof.

I would like to know where that BS rumor came from. I have heard it thrown around all over the place......

Rick Ehrenberg at Mopar Action has been saying for years, a factory small block is only good to 550 hp before they split apart. He's probably the single biggest source for spreading this misconception.

Wylde1.

i run 143 mph in a 3550 lbs street car on 200 shot what ever hp that is , pulled it down no cap walk no girdle std caps 3/4 full stud top and bottom ,may be a time bomb

Rick Ehrenberg at Mopar Action has been saying for years, a factory small block is only good to 550 hp before they split apart. He's probably the single biggest source for spreading this misconception.

Wylde1.

That would only serve to make more sales on 'R' blocks and such. I wonder who he's in bed with, and what he stands to gain by spreading that rumor.

In all my years I've never heard about this limit...

I personally have cracked several big block number 4 main webs at 850 hp with a heavy crank.
But never in my life have I ever heard that a small block mopar will fail at 600 hp..Now stock Ford blocks that's a different story...

I would like to know where that BS rumor came from. I have heard it thrown around all over the place, and every time someone says something to me I ask them:

"Have you ever actually broken one yourself, or was it your "friend" or "uncle's cousin's wife's friend's boss"? LOL!

I haven't gotten an answer to that question yet. It's always hearsay, and never any actual facts.

I always figured the myth came from people who are selling the R blocks(or x blocks earlier)

-
Back