62-65 A Bodies vs. 1968 A- interchange drivelines?

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
Quick question - I've been in the C Body game for quite a while but am looking at a 65 Valiant that needs entire dirveline. I have a low miles 68 Dart that I was hoping I could pull the 225/904 and 7 1/4 and direct swap. Will 68 Dodge drivelines swap/bolt in to a 65 Plymouth? Dimensions same, or did everything change in 66? Thanks - Andy

I'm hoping its simply a matter of getting the right driveshaft then. But not wider or narrower?

You will have to find some 64-66 slant 6 motor mounts, but other than that the motor and transmission will bolt right in. The rear end will bolt right in also, and you already know you may have to adjust the driveshaft length. The best way to get the transmission shift linkage to work would be to find a complete steering column from a 66 A body that was an auto on the column and get all the linkage that goes along with it. Your kick down linkage from the 68 should work fine.

Early A slant six oil pans are different from the 67 and up pans. In order to bolt a slant into an early A (62 to 66) you must have the proper early A pan.

I ran into this with my 63 valiant.

The early pan will bolt into the later car but the later pan will NOT bolt into the early car.

-
Back