63 Dart 904 with rear pump thrust washer question

-
ok, so I got to thinking about the large movement of the output shaft and reread the thread here so tore the output shaft all down again and began putting it back together bit by bit and found that as soon as I put the annulus into the drum I had all of this movement. Made me start to think where was the thrust supposed to be taken up.

I also got to looking at the odd wear pattern on the one washer and began looking for something that fit only the outer half of the washer something that was only half the thickness of the washer.

The only thing I came up with was the inner race in the overrunning clutch. So I tore this apart also and low and behold behind the race was my three holes for the 3 tang washer to fit into! Nowhere did I find this on a drawing even in my 63 Dart service manual. Go figure.

There was one line at the end of the automatic transmission chapter that said put the thrust washer in place then put in the inner race.

I realized I was so stressed out about taking this clutch apart with all the springs and rollers that I missed the thrust washer behind it all as it fell apart. I put it all back together and put the input shaft together and the front pump assy into place and now have acceptable end play.

Now I am hoping that all this works now that I got it back together. Always an exciting prospect.

Thanks for all the help guys I can close the output shaft chapter now and wonder where the next befuddlement will be!

John

-
Back