63 dart V8 swap

-

rj72cda

Reaction score
Ive got a 63 dart ragtop that was a /6 looking to go to LA style 318. car is power steering car and i want to keep that i would like to avoid headers. I am aware of the relief in the firewall for the wiper motor what other things will i need
ie
Type of manifold
Motor mount issues
input appreciated

Put a 383 in it. No firewall relief necessary.

Ive got a warm 360 and this car is for the wife

You'll need to look for mounts and manifolds off a early V8 A body And center steering link up to 66 will work. Do yourself a favor and plan on installing V8 torsion bars. Most of these parts members on here will have if you ask in the parts wanted section. Shumacher Creative Services at www.engine-swaps.com can help with the mounts. May save you alot of headaches.

So I did the swap on a 65 Signet I put in a 273. The 66 V8 Motor Mounts will work fine. Drop center link V8 from 64-66. Use standard 273,318 exhaust manifolds. Power Steering no big deal but I would slide your steering column back. You will also need a V8 904 transmission, on a 63 you may need a new transmission cross member. I also put in a 8 3/4 rear and changed over the front brakes all to big bolt pattern. You might be able to get away leaving the rear if you don't get on it. I used a 1972 904 I was running a B&M shifter but Imperial Services is now making a single cable to use with newer transmissions.

Update i do have the center link ( this has been a long standing project) have an extra 904 and im gonna use a lokar shifter ( gave up on pushbutton long ago. i think im on the right path gotta make a little more progress to have all the parts but looks like my list is made

HEY RustrRatRod! 383 will work in my 63 dart i just scored ( origally /6 no power, pushbutton!!)) B motor huh??!! ???
however, not to highjack this thread, i just started reading all the info in search for 63 dart headers spitfire etc, how many pages but after an hour i'm drunk ( no alocohol)!! i love playing with the slants but have 65 dart building that way now, when is stumbled onto the 63 dart, i really had the itch for another 62-5 B bosy for B motor.

-
Back