64 A body Handling question

-

native

Reaction score
Other than new heavier torsion bars and new front shocks, any suggestions to help my 64 Valiant drive and handle better? Thanks for any input guys!

Front sway bar. Make sure the lower ball joints, Pitman arm, Idler arm, and bushings are good. Measure what torsion bars you have now, so you will have a baseline. I'd put shocks all the way around. And good tires, sticky handling tires. What size wheels? Get a good front end alignment from someone who knows what he is doing.

Running 15 in wheels with new radials. What sway bar would any of you suggest?

One that will flip your car back over. lol look at your avatar pic. I prefer the stock one that came on the 65 and 66 cars.

Yea im not sure what is up with that avatar. Cant get it to load my photo right side up.

Cant quite understand why it flipped my photo. Can I still find a stocknswah bar kit for my 64?

Addco makes a 1 1/8" bar for early A's that's reasonably priced. Firm Feel makes a really nice one as well. It costs more, but the brackets are much, much nicer.

After you do torsion bars and sway bars, weld gussets to your steering box mounts on the k-member, up grade your tie rods and ends to 11/16 units, they are "C" body units; if Mcquay-Norris is still in business, get one of their idler arms (roller bearing guts), less deflection. Buy an MP chassis book, alot of information.

I believe Hellwig Products also makes a front swaybar kit for the early A's

Cant quite understand why it flipped my photo. Can I still find a stocknswah bar kit for my 64?

We upgraded to 1.000" torsion bars with front and rear sway bars for our 71 Valiant.

Have you tried PST or Just Suspension to see what they have?

We tried to support PST for ours (since they support FABO), but they were out of stock for their 1.030" torsion bars and could not tell us when they would be back in stock, so we called Just Suspension and they had 1.000" bars in stock.

When I did the first alignment on my 70 dart, the front caster was about 1.5° neg. Iirc I got about 2-2.5° positive out of it. Made a huge difference. It didn't have a front sway bar either.

I'd start with the basics, know that all of the bushings are good (including those in the rear springs) or rebuild the suspension. I would NOT go with urethane bushings. They are NOT better than rubber, they are merely stiffer. Which sounds like a good idea for the use until you factor in their negatives. See the poll thread on them.

Next, put on a set of good shocks. I call KYB's the very bottom end of those, and anything else that you can get from most normal parts houses not even in the same category. Fox, Bilstein, likely QA1 (no experience with them), etc. are better than the KYB's.

You know how drag racing is all about the engine tune? Off Road & road racing is all about the suspension tune. I can not over-state how important good shocks are to good handling on any surface, they are at the core of the tune on the suspension. If the budget says one thing at a time I'd go with shocks first. Then the sway-bar. Then maybe step up the t-bar size if you feel that it's needed. I'm not in the "stiffer t-bars = better handling" camp. A compliant suspension will out-handle one that is too stiff even though the too stiff suspension has better front end geometry. If the tire can't track the road surface variations then you'll lose traction every time the tire unloads or even comes off the ground.

There our 2 schools of thought on springs. 1st School is stiff springs and modest sway bar sizes. The 2nd School is soft springs and bigger sway bars.

The soft springs are for rougher road conditions and the stiff springs are for smoother road conditions. I have done both before and all I can say is that "it depends" on local roads where you live and what selection of sizes you have available. For a Chevelle everything, for an A Barracuda not so much.

Addco bars are cheaper, but the brackets require some welding and work to fit better. Search for pictures and fixes before ordering. IMHO.
Shocks are tough for the front as far as fit and listed in catalogs. Rears are easy with more choices and pricing.

The only advantage that I see to a stiff spring is if the camber curve of the suspension is beyond hope. Or you're running a lot of down-force.

Thank you all for your input! I have new shocks all around and have chosen to try a front sway bar first. Thanks again guys!

Subframe connectors helped my overall ride I believe. Not sure if it is my imagination or real science behind it but they did seem to help.

-
Back