64 valiant

-

red 64 valiant

Reaction score
Would like to put a overdrive transmission in my 64 valiant. Has anyone done this? What trans. did you use? Would really like to keep the push button hooked up. Probably no way to keep the buttons but a guy can wish. How big of a deal would this be? Thanks for any help.
icon5.gif

The OD tranny would require some mods to the tunnel, but I'm not sure I've seen any info on keeping the push button setup....

Maybe someone else knows :dontknow:

Imperial Services should be able to make up any cables you need. Seems they only work through dealers now, but if you want one of their products I'm sure they'll help you figure out how to buy it.

you may be able to make the cable work ,but how would you select park as its a separate cable,be a lot of head scratching

Imperial Services should be able to make up any cables you need.

yea if you don't mind waiting 2+ years for your stuff back. :)

what about just sticking a gear vendors on the back of the trans?

Unfortunately the Gear Vendor unit won't work with the two cable 65 and older torque flite because of the park mechanism set up in the tail housing.

Also, I think the 64 has a different pattern in the valve body, i.e. the order the cable extends vs the order of the gears you get. 65 has the standard pattern. For 64-, you might re-label the buttons per the gear you get. That is after installing a cable to lever adapter, since all later trannys have a lever input.

I think the only 4 speed automatic tranny that would fit a 64 is one for a Magnum V-8, and only if the 64 has a 273. You must adapt the tranny tunnel and machine the torque converter snub. I don't know that there were any 4 speed auto trannys for the slant engine.

Thank you all I didn't think I would even get a reply. I'm beginning to think it would be easier to change the gears in the rearend. Was hoping for better cruising speed and lower rpm. Not sure it would be worth the expense since this is not a daily driver. Thanks for all the good and helpful advice. Seems the hardest part would be keeping the push buttons.

-
Back