65-66 Mustang Diff into 1967 Dart

-

scrappydoo

Reaction score
Hi, I searched this here but couldn't find anything.

Now being in Australia makes it virtually impossible to find a mopar diff of any strength.
I've contacted Dr. Diff and it will cost $2k to assemble a 8.75" lsd then I have to ship it over.

It will be easier and cheaper for me to source a ford 9" or 8" diff locally.

From my research a 65-66 mustang diff is identical to the dart.
43" spring perch, 57.25" drum to drum.

I would've thought this would be a common conversion if it was so straight forward.
Am I missing something or would using a 65-66 mustang diff work as a bolt in?
Thanks.

The thing you are missing is that (here) all the Poontang freaks have scarfed up all the Ferd 9" 'stang axles!!! But make SURE it is actually a 9" There is a smaller 8 X something Ferd rear that is also a third member year. You can Google around and find this

I'm running a Lincoln Versailles axle in mine, drops right in. This was made for a very few years on the Monarch/ Granada platform, and the Versailles as well as a few of the Monarchs have rear disk brakes. I don't recommend it though (& don't know if they even exist down there) because the disk brake parts are hard to get.

So that is a positive that the 65-66 mustang diff is a direct fit?

You have to remember that we just don't have a great selection of diffs in Australia.

All the local so called muscle cars had borg warners or salisburys. About the same strength as the 7.25".

I can get 8x" from a mustang 2.79:1 for $400 locally, then I can fit a lsd to for another $500 or so.

I'm pretty sure. I believe the Versaille axle I have is about 3/4 wider than the 7 1/4 which came out, easily made up with wheels. I had to shim the perches for pinion angle, that might be a particular spring setup. Not that big a deal if you have to rework the perches.

I've located a 9" open complete diff with brakes out of a 57-59 ford.
These are a straight boltin from what I have read, $1000.
Add a trutrac center for another $500 and hopefully it will be good to go.

Just look for a rear from a ford explorer, it´s an 8.8". Do you have them down under?

If you are able to find one look for the sticky here, the swap is relatively easy!

Michael

We do have explorers here but not many, finding a rear end would be harder than finding a 9".
Everyone here knows what it costs to ship a diff out from the usa and price their diffs accordingly.
I've been quoted $3000 for a reco 8.75 suregrip with disk setup locally supplied.

I bought the the 9".
It is out of a locally delivered 1957 tank fairlane.
It has the large axle bearings and 2.91:1 ratio.
2012-05-09%252020.57.05.jpg

You scored,that is the hard one to find!You found a rare one.

An annoyance with running a '64-'66 Mustang 8" axle is that they have a tapered axle housing. It gets small right where they bolt to the springs and uses small bearings. You have to use small U-bolts and the Ford plates to hold it. The old '57 9" like yours (and others) doesn't have this problem of course.

-
Back