65 barracuda 273 commando

-

lilyndave

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the best replacement Edelbrock carb would be for my '65 Barracuda 273 Commando motor? Everything on the motor is stock but the carb needs to be replaced because there's no choke and it has too many vacuum leaks. Which model Edelbrock would work for me? Thanks.

Note you'll need to change the base or use some sort of adapter if you want to use the original air cleaner. Replacement carbs have a larger opening than the originals.

Use the 500 cfm 1403 Edelbrock AFB or 1801 AVS with the Chrysler adapter arm. They usually run a bit lean out of the box.

Don't go too big or you will suffer from poor driveability and mileage. I think 600 cfm max and 450 or even 370 would be better. You can find plastic base adapters on ebay, but I don't think any way to adapt a bigger horn (new carb) to the smaller hole in your factory air cleaner, so plan on a new air cleaner. I haven't dealt with it, but recall reading that the 4 bbl intake on your car has a different (smaller) bolt pattern than either the later square-bore (most common) or spread-bore pattern, so you might need a base adapter plate.

If I remember correctly, the 500 cfm Edelbrock has the same size throttle bores as the Original AFB.

Another option would be to have the original carb rebuilt profesionally by Scott Smith at Harms auto in Spokane. He does meticilous work, and test the carbs prior to shipping them back. They work and look like new, with no need for incorrect air cleaners or adapters. Just google harms auto of pm me for his info.

He has done several early carter commando style carbs for me and all work great.

500 afb. Check to see if your top will fit the new carb bottom...maybe youll get lucky!

Another option would be to have the original carb rebuilt profesionally by Scott Smith at Harms auto in Spokane. He does meticilous work, and test the carbs prior to shipping them back. They work and look like new, with no need for incorrect air cleaners or adapters. Just google harms auto of pm me for his info.

He has done several early carter commando style carbs for me and all work great.

I would have to agree. For some reason the original cabs really work well on factory cars, although chokes and pull offs are expensive, you'll be good to go for years.

The 500 cfm eddy is a great choice for a stock commando. The bolt pattern matches fine but stock intake manifold bores are to small for throttle plates to open fully. This is for an eddy or any aftermarket carb. Actually had the factory bores machined larger on my 65 valiant but you can just simply add a 3/8 or 1/2 inch spacer to manifold. The stock carter air filter base will not work also as others have mentioned. Just use a cheapo base & filter from 10" aftermarket aircleaner like eddy & others offer.

Oldschoolcuda

The 500 cfm Edelbrock bolted up fine to my stock Commando manifold. The old 500 cfm Carter would not. The Carter used the same throttle bores as the 600 cfm, then they played with nozzle sizes to get it down to 500 cfm.

Any Eddy Carb bolts up fine to a stock 273 manifold and will work but you will not get full function of your secondaries. Speaking from personal experience the bores are too small on the stock manifold for complete actuation of the secondaries. Difference is clearly visible if you lay a modern 4-hole spacer on your stock manifold and look at the difference or try opening your secondaries all the way during pre-installation. It is very slight but needs to be addressed or you will not have full function of your eddy or other non spread bore aftermarket carb..

Oldschoolcuda

FWIW, I have two early Barracuda's with Commando 273s in them. They both came with Eddy carbs on them and I hated the way the cars ran with them. Maybe they both just needed rebuilding, but these carbs didn't seem to have a good throttle response, I always had to feather the pedal or it would stall starting up from a stop, and they used more gas. I was able to hunt down a 3854, and a 4120 Carter carb for these cars. I had both professionally rebuilt, one locally, and the other by Harms. For me having the original carbs back on these engines made a huge difference in the way the cars ran and the throttle response was much better. Also I've had no problems with any butterfly biding.

On throttle bores being too small on the intake, why not use a file and correct any interference? You should also look at the street demon carb., if using for daily driving. It is corrected for todays gasoline, which is different from 10 years ago. Try to avoid adapters if you can. K.I.S.S.

Look at rebuilding by Harms, it sounds like several people are happy with his work.

And Yes I have ground intake bores too avoid using adapters and was pleased with how everything worked out, but your mileage may vary from mine.

Good Luck, however YOU decide.

The 500 cfm Edelbrock bolted up fine to my stock Commando manifold. The old 500 cfm Carter would not. The Carter used the same throttle bores as the 600 cfm, then they played with nozzle sizes to get it down to 500 cfm.

I stand corrected. An Eddy 500 cfm still uses the 1 11/16 secondary bores while the original Commando AFB uses a 1 9/16 bore. Sorry for the mistake.

FWIW, I have two early Barracuda's with Commando 273s in them. They both came with Eddy carbs on them and I hated the way the cars ran with them. Maybe they both just needed rebuilding, but these carbs didn't seem to have a good throttle response, I always had to feather the pedal or it would stall starting up from a stop, and they used more gas. I was able to hunt down a 3854, and a 4120 Carter carb for these cars. I had both professionally rebuilt, one locally, and the other by Harms. For me having the original carbs back on these engines made a huge difference in the way the cars ran and the throttle response was much better. Also I've had no problems with any butterfly biding.

I had pretty much the same experience.

Thank you all for the tips regarding my carb. It sounds like the safer thing to do is have my existing carb rebuilt. The reason why I wanted an Eddy is because it comes with an auto-choke. If I let the car sit for a few days, the fuel filter is empty and it take about 20-25 pumps to the accelerator and 5-7 min of cranking to get it started. There's no choke on the existing Carter because the carb partially covers the hole for the temp sensitive spring for the choke.

Thank you all for the tips regarding my carb. It sounds like the safer thing to do is have my existing carb rebuilt. The reason why I wanted an Eddy is because it comes with an auto-choke. If I let the car sit for a few days, the fuel filter is empty and it take about 20-25 pumps to the accelerator and 5-7 min of cranking to get it started. There's no choke on the existing Carter because the carb partially covers the hole for the temp sensitive spring for the choke.

I have that leak down problem with the Carter 4682 on my Road Runner. But for some reason the 3854 and 4120 on my Barracudas don't have that problem. Having the 3 cars to drive sometimes they could sit for a few weeks at a time and when I get back to them there is still gas in the filters so they usually start up with little extra cranking! I wish the carb on my Road
Runner did that!!

I would be willing to buy it from you. I already have an original 4 barrell Mopar rebuild kit. How much would you be willing to sell it for?

I think the easiest way would be to restore the factorry carburator. There are several suppliers out there.

I ended up finding a Holley 600 cfm single feed 4160 series on ebay which was supposed to be compatible with my 273 commando but none of holes line up. The Holley is much larger than my intake manifold. Will the adapters work for a large carb to a smaller manifold?

The original Carter AFB ~ {1 7/16" Primary x 1 9/16" Secondary}

Is rated at 500 CFM.

On a 'stock' 273 Commando, nothing much bigger is needed.

i just so happen to have one of those said adapter plates you speak of! I scored it off of a 66 273 charger i picked cheap cuz the dart it was in got wrecked. Pm me if yer intrested,just collecting dust im my shed.

-
Back