65 Barracuda rear window tinting

-

Deucemopar

Reaction score
The rear window tint on our 65 Barracuda is peeling and starting to look crappy. Previous owner did it with about 7 horizontal pieces.

For our needs we required heavy tint for rear window.

I've search for hours. I think I already know the answer - buy some sheets, watch some YouTube videos ...give it a whirl ... make sure I buy enough because it will take 7 tries .. lol

But ... aside from having "professional" installation done ... has anyone ever found rear window pre-cut kit? Anybody have any suggestions? Which brands? Best install videos or instructions?

Can it be done in one sheet? Looking at curves i would think at least 3. Dependent on size of sheets as well of course.

Thanks for help!

No pre cut kits for are cars. Easy to do on flat Windows. Your compound curved back window, forget it. Pay the man to do the rear window.

I had some windows in my building done 4' x 6' one piece no problem,
I know you wont like it but i would take the glass out do the tint and reinstall it.
I have a 64 cuda and have had the window out at least 5 times.

I know ... my advice is always let the dude who know what the hell he is doing .. do it.

I was hoping not to hear .. take it out ... lol .... Have done it on simpler windows ... I dunno ... lol

I had some windows in my building done 4' x 6' one piece no problem,
I know you wont like it but i would take the glass out do the tint and reinstall it.
I have a 64 cuda and have had the window out at least 5 times.
What method do you use to install the window. I have mine out, but not sure how I'm going to get it back in!

I use a good spray silicon, put the rubber on the body and get it in place then put the glass in the rubber at the back of the car. Using a glass tool, I have a k-d it has a curved rod with a ball on the end spray the glass and the rubber down with the silicon and insert the tool and pull out the rubber and the glass will fall in, start at the back and work your way to the front try not to hit the glass with the tool it will get tougher when you get to the top, but work it from both sides to the middle and it will fall in place. I have also put the glass in the top first and worked my way down but I think that is harder to do.

kdt2037.jpg

I use a good spray silicon, put the rubber on the body and get it in place then put the glass in the rubber at the back of the car. Using a glass tool, I have a k-d it has a curved rod with a ball on the end spray the glass and the rubber down with the silicon and insert the tool and pull out the rubber and the glass will fall in, start at the back and work your way to the front try not to hit the glass with the tool it will get tougher when you get to the top, but work it from both sides to the middle and it will fall in place. I have also put the glass in the top first and worked my way down but I think that is harder to do.

View attachment 1715023013

Thanks!

It can be done in 1 piece but it's tricky. it will take a while to manuvere it in position. first you shape it on the outside and get the shape and size perfected then you do it inside
here is a video on a car with almost as much curve as your 65

It would be nice to be able to just pick up the glass put the tint on then close it!

I did some research at the site below (see post at the bottom of page 2 to get your answer.) I had the window out of the car at a good shop. I told the guy it had to be done in 3 pieces but he wouldn't listen and ended up wasting expensive film and a whole day. Finally he did it in 3 sections and it looked perfect.
66 plymouth baracuda

It can be done in 1 piece but it's tricky. it will take a while to manuvere it in position. first you shape it on the outside and get the shape and size perfected then you do it inside
here is a video on a car with almost as much curve as your 65

I am skeptical, while it may work on that Corvette, the Barracuda window has a much more severe shape.

I did some research at the site below (see post at the bottom of page 2 to get your answer.) I had the window out of the car at a good shop. I told the guy it had to be done in 3 pieces but he wouldn't listen and ended up wasting expensive film and a whole day. Finally he did it in 3 sections and it looked perfect.
66 plymouth baracuda

That dude had been doing it for 20 years and at 10 hours he still was working on it .... omg ... but he wound up doing great job it seems. I guess I'm looking at 40 hour job. Rofl.

I would love to be able to mine myself. I've done plenty of nearly flat side windows. Even did a manufactured home for a guy when I lived in Texas. I'll leave my rear window for the experts...it even takes them over 10 hours, lol.

I am skeptical, while it may work on that Corvette, the Barracuda window has a much more severe shape.

I worked at the Chrysler McGraw glass plant making those darned things, other than being big and heavy they were gravity formed not press bent like the corvette . So I think it is really close to the same curvature. It maybe a little less than the corvette since the corvette has a compound curve by being formed by a male plug to a female ring piece of glass, where the barracuda has just a flat"ish" curve due to the way it was bent. the longer straight sides are not an issue once you make it around the curve going down

barracuda back glass.jpg

vs
c6 corvette.jpg

I dunno. Laying upside down in a confined space trying to meticulously apply something I have never done before - and to which such detail isn't my strength ....

Or ... take the glass out ... which I've never done before - let alone something of that shape ... nor have the tools for ... and risk watching how many little pieces I can shatter that into .. rofl

Or just pay someone to do it all correctly - but of course I am already over budget in the build and just barely will meet that.

Hmmm ... I'll probably wait until we get car back, watch 17 hours of YouTube videos, purchase 100 square feet of film and lock myself in the garage for a weekend and give it a whirl. :rofl:

-
Back