65 Barracuda steering column shaft question

-

Deucemopar

Reaction score
IMG_1369.JPG
We're installing a Magnumforce k-member with rack. I know we have to modify the steering column shaft end to fit the rack .... but if you look at the pic, you can see the column shaft "hanging" in the opening in the firewall (you can move it all over).

Is this "normal" or should there be some support? I'm no expert, but I'm just a bit concerned that nothing supports the shaft from steering wheel to u-joint or Rick connection? Or am I way off?

See pic and build thread as well. Thx!!!

I made a offset bushing that fit in the bottom of the column and moved the shaft away from the header.

I'm working on an aluminum piece with a small seal in the middle that will locate the shaft in the column and keep fumes out. I'll post when I get one made and see if there's interest in making a production run of them. I can't run the factory seal because my headers will cook it.
IMG_0516.JPG

There is a rubber seat with a hard plastic center insert that fits over the end of the column. Another member also used a bearing that fit inside the column. Either would prevent the center shaft from moving around.

Ah. Thanks Dartman and Matto. Look forward to pic as well! I'd be interested in one.

Last edited:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_38cd.jpg
i swaths bushing on an install video of a Alterkation front end called the guy up and he sent me one for 30 bucks or so.

I also had to cut the steering shaft and machine it to fit the u joint. I am planning on using some epoxy to keep it in place once i get the paint finished up

Thanks guys!!! Great tips! Appreciate it everyone!

Keep the earley Barracuda"s fed They Love HORSE MEAT chomp on a mustang or 3 winstoninwisc HAGR812 OUR BOTHER

-
Back