65 'cuda lockstrip: chrome vs black

-

Justcruisin'

Reaction score
The chrome lockstrip around the front & rear windows on my '65 Barracuda has yellowed. I purchased new chrome lockstrip for it but it hasn't been installed yet. The car is black & the chrome around the windshield really stands out - maybe too much. Here's the problem: I just bought another '65 Barracuda as a parts car. The lockstrip on this new one is black & I think I like it better. What is more original? Black or chrome trim? Do you guys have any opinions on black vs chrome?

It's your car first of all, second is if you are restoring it then follow thru with what is original. If you are making it your way you've already stated and brought up what it is you want. It's a black car and like you said it will stand out with the chrome, whereas the black will blend. I personally prefer the black, as it matches with the surrounding gasket.

My chrome lockstrip was worn off and I painted it black when it was out. For 5 years I lived with it that way and finally I bought some of the Chevy stuff (see this discussion here if you need some: http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/440.html ) and I can't believe I waited that long!

My car is black and the chrome lockstrip looks fantastic! I swear, since I replaced it (and tinted my rear window) I get twice as many people commenting on how nice my car is or saying cool car.

Go chrome, black looks like ****.

65s, I was wondering if the lockstrip could be painted. I've got a show comming up on Saturday and I'll get the car back from the shop on Wednesday. Not enough time for me to get the lockstrip & put it in. The show is just a small local show & I thought about painting it just for this one show - the lockstrip is so yellow that your eye just goes straight to it. Painted black would be much better than ugly yellow.

Two weeks ago I got a parts car so I practiced changing the lockstrip ( I have one piece that's long enough for the windshield but not the back window). I don't have the right tool but, being a girl, I have a multitude of extra tools in the kitchen. I used the handle end of a dinner fork and a nylon chopstick & it worked!

Well on my car the chrome part (which I think is a Mylar coating) was mostly worn off and I just quickly sprayed it all black. It seemed to stick pretty good, but again the chrome part was very worn and dull, not shiny at all. I'm sure you could just paint it with a small brush right on the car if you really wanted to.

The tool they use has a hole it for the lockstrip to fit into while the end of the tool opens the rubber up to allow the lockstrip to fit into it. Not sure if I'm making sense but I could find a photo, I've seen it in magazine.

Good luck, hope it works out for ya!

Neil.

Thanks Neil! I did see a picture of that tool on a website. I will probably order it - it's probably easier than the chopstick thing!!

Well, there was only one day left to get it ready for the show so I masked it off & sprayed it with Krlyon black semi gloss. It looked WAY better than the old orange trim. The car placed 3rd in a class of 9 Mopars. I'm still going to order that tool & more chrome lockstrip though.

-
Back