65 cuda slant six timing

-

littlefishaz

Reaction score
I have a 65 cuda with I believe a later model slant but I do not know the year. Non air car- can you tell me the proper timing, plug gap and point gap. I am assuming most years were the same. There are no emmision or smog devices- just a plain slant six with standard carb , auto trans Thanks

This always worked for me....Plug gap .035. Point gap .020. Set timing till it pings then back off a couple of degrees.

The point gap is just to get you close. Ideally, you use a "dwell meter" to fine tune the gap. You can get those cheap at garage sales. However, a lot of fooling around and will never be as good as electronic ignition. I put a later electronic distributor in my 64 slant, driving a GM 8-pin HEI module that connects to a GM coil w/ GM cable.

Something I would be concerned with on a 65 with a later model engine is the crankshaft to torque convertor fitment. Later crankshaft had a larger diameter hole which allow the 65 torque convertor to float instead being centered. The way to check is to pull the inspection cover and start the engine. Watch the torque convertor and makes sure it doesn't have a wobble to it. The fix for this issue is a convertor spacer. A few members sell them. If it does wobble it will eat the trans seal and eventually the pump bushings too.

... Later crankshaft had a larger diameter hole which allow the 65 torque convertor to float instead being centered. ...
True. I think the year of change was 1968. The OP can check the pad on the top of the block behind the alternator bracket to find the year. If no stamp, it is likely a dealer warranty block. Charrlie_S here sells the adapter ring.

-
Back