65 Dart GT, a guy and his son who have almost no idea what they’re getting themselves into

-

Craven2112

In over my head. Since birth.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! It’s been about 20 years since I’ve had any kind of classic or American muscle car. And that was a 72 Chevelle. That was my first car that my dad helped me buy when I turned 16. But enough living in the past: arriving by car hauler today is the crazy purchase I made yesterday, which is a 65 dodge dart GT With a pretty rough rustic charm that needs some work but starts and drives. Not a lot of knowledge or detail or history on the car but I feel like I bought it right. I’ve got my technical service manual on the way and I do know this: the kickdown was just lying disconnected so I know I need to get that handled first because driving with the kick down disconnected can tear up the transmission? I know that from reading posts here, so thank you already.

I’m really excited to have the car as a hobby and an occasional driver, but most importantly, something to work on with my youngest son for father-son bonding and learning and together time. My stepson and stepdaughter are welcome to join too but they are a little less grease inclined.

Sorry for the downbeat, but a big part of this car is to tribute and honor the memory of my oldest son, Isaac, who sadly took his own life on March 13 of this year. We are on the healing road of grief and we know we will be OK and we’ve already lived through our worst day. of course some days and moments are crushing sorrow but there’s also joy in the love and remembrance of just the awesome kid that he was. He and I had another project in mind but this car making itself available just kind of seems like a Providence thing, and I believe it will be a wonderful way for my youngest son Nate and I to continue to grow and appreciate each other being together and appreciate our loved ones on the other side of the veil. When Nate is older, and he learns to drive in a nice safe car, this car will be his of course.

Be well, and thank you for reading!

F0B969CE-FDBC-42DA-A5D0-7D8542536338.jpeg

672A851C-D901-4ED4-B290-6571CC9BB246.jpeg

80944AEB-74E2-48F2-8AA0-2D978A4053CE.jpeg

:welcome: from :canada:
So very sorry for the loss of your son, cannot imagine the pain.
Building good positive memories with your younger boy through a joint project is a great idea. Keep us posted on your progress.

Really good looking Dart. Sorry for your loss, I’ve been through my worst day also.

Sorry for the loss of your son, I feel your pai. All I can tell you is keep your head up and make every day count with your other children. I love the blue on the Dart and I especially like the old school diamond tuck interior.

That looks to be an A-bodies keeper to me. Please feel free to share descriptions/specs and of course more pics.

Excellent venture and adventure with your son. I'm betting he is excited?

Welcome to FABO!! This is the right place for technical help, laughs and support. Very sorry for your loss.

Love the Dart. Great find.

Thank you everyone, for the compassionate comments and the warm welcome!

The motor is a 273. The trans? I still haven’t identified it yet. As best I can tell someone made it a non-original transmission. I haven’t gotten the car up on jackstands yet but I can see the tranny is newer metal. The shifter linkage is real bad and wishy-washy, and the transmission is not acting right in general. Kick down is not quite right yet and when the car is in drive, and you accelerate through the gears, it goes too fast through the gears and the kicker is I swear I count four shifts, so this has to be some a newer three speed overdrive. Main issues with the car: transmission flaky, and something electrical going on where I’m not reading correct voltage to the battery even though I have now swapped the alternator and voltage regulator. There’s some pretty gnarly looking wiring so there’s got to be a ground problem somewhere or some thing. There’s an MSD unit added on, and I’m wondering even if the problem may lie with it. or the wiring therein

Thank you everyone, for the compassionate comments and the warm welcome!

The motor is a 273. The trans? I still haven’t identified it yet. As best I can tell someone made it a non-original transmission. I haven’t gotten the car up on jackstands yet but I can see the tranny is newer metal. The shifter linkage is real bad and wishy-washy, and the transmission is not acting right in general. Kick down is not quite right yet and when the car is in drive, and you accelerate through the gears, it goes too fast through the gears and the kicker is I swear I count four shifts, so this has to be some a newer three speed overdrive. Main issues with the car: transmission flaky, and something electrical going on where I’m not reading correct voltage to the battery even though I have now swapped the alternator and voltage regulator. There’s some pretty gnarly looking wiring so there’s got to be a ground problem somewhere or some thing. There’s an MSD unit added on, and I’m wondering even if the problem may lie with it. or the wiring therein
Welcome to FABO!!! Sorry for Your loss, treasure each day with loved ones, & let them know we do. Great looking '65!! Take some good pics of the trans & linkage, mount, etc. & start a thread in the auto tranny forum here. I'm sure You'll get the answers You need.

God bless you my friend...nice car...extremely sorry about Isaac and I pray you and family will heal...

Welcome here, and sorry about your son.
I lost two of my kids in one day, I know your pain.
The car is a really good start, you are over the paint and interior hurdle, the big cash.
Mechanical stuff and wiring is easy, but frustrating at times.

Welcome here, and sorry about your son.
I lost two of my kids in one day, I know your pain.
The car is a really good start, you are over the paint and interior hurdle, the big cash.
Mechanical stuff and wiring is easy, but frustrating at times.
I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for your empathy.

-
Back