Not open for further replies.

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Contact seller
I'm continuing the restoration on my third Dart Charger 273.

I'm going through the exhaust system parts that I have. In the picture you can see the aluminized resonstor with stainless steel tip. I have an NOS one of that style but I'm looking for the older style without that stainless steel tip. They were just painted black.

I'm interested to buy the black resonator or trade my NOS one.

Thanks FABO

resonator1.jpg.jpg

65 Darts sssembled between August 1964 to early February 1965.

Last edited:
Never saw one with a black tip. What did they come on, and when? Just Curious.
My '65 F/S was built 12-14-1964, so I would think it had the black resonator. I also have an NOS resonator new in the box, and am considering painting it as shown in post #1. Is paint the only difference? Just wondering why not just paint the NOS one that you have, including the tip. I was told today by Tom at Accurate Exhaust that the factory had the over the axle pipe welded to the resonator, and when the resonator was replaced the factory resonator was cut off the tailpipe and the replacement clamped on. He said the early cars had no muffler, but the later cars did and the intermediate pipe was welded onto the muffler. The early cars must have been quite loud with only a resonator.
Thank you for posting this. My ‘65 GoGo coupe didn’t have a muffler - just a resonator. It was quite loud when you were on it. I have been told many times by early A experts that all 235hp motors had a muffler. This makes me feel much better. Some where, there was a magazine article that commented on this, but I cannot remember which magazine. I am currently running a replica resonator only on my convertible, and it sounds close to what I remember. Since it’s a reproduction, I’m pretty sure any difference in sound is due to that. At one point I welded a ”dump” on my high school car just past the junction of both pipes. The car was quite a bit louder with the dump open, but it wasn’t a problem at the drag strip. My convertible is not too bad as long as you don’t get on it, but when you do, it makes a great sound - and gives me the same grin I had in 1966 when I would punch it. My high school care was a 4-speed coupe, and when I would rev it and dump the clutch, the sound was amazing. Not to mention all the blue smoke from my bias-ply tires! I wish my convertible was a 4-speed and not a 904, but it still sounds good.
Fellas, this is a parts wanted thread. Please feel free to start your own thread in the exhaust forum if you have questions or want to tell about your car or build. Your posts above will be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back