65 Valiant vinyl top?

-

65valiantwin

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some help here. I'm struggling with how to best finish the top on my 65 Valiant signet. It looks like it used to be vinyl but most pics I see online it looks like painted metal? If vinyl should it be tone on tone? I don't have VIN. I've attached a cpl pics any help would be great thx!

20170821_192352.jpeg

Resized_20170821_192404.jpeg

Wasn't thAt a dealer option??? My 65 val is metal up top. If you keep it two tone it for sure

That's a Canadian Valiant, also known in the U.S. as a 65 Dodge Dart G.T. Do some searches on here as well as the internet for 65 Dart GT vinyl roof.

No, it was not a dealer option — it was factory equipment. The partial vinyl roof was available in black or white. Find mention of it in the '65 Canadian Valiant brochure, which you can see the relevant page of here—this is the French-language version. The second-to-last sentence on the page Vous verrez aussi le chic toit recouvert de vinyl blanc ou noir des modèles hardtop translates "You will also see the chic roof, covered with white or black vinyl on the hardtop models".

To be correct the vinyl top had a seam down the center. My 66 Dart had a vinyl top and it was so dry and flakey I just scraped it off. I am tempted to spray it satin black and leave the bumpy adhesive for texture.

Last edited:
Yours has the cool GT trim, like my 65 Dart, or at least I hope you have that trim. Replace w/ vinyl if you like that look and/or want to keep it original. Vinyl has destroyed many cars since it cracks, then lets water sit against the metal until it rusts thru, especially at the bottom side weld. Vinyl doesn't last long in CA, but might be OK in Canada.

A vinyl top was also available on a Barracuda, perhaps a little later in the 65 model year.

Also, not meaning to high-jack this thread, but I have never been able to find out how a person could order a 8 3/4" for his or her A-body. Looking over the excellent information posted by 64_Barracuda, I see no reference to a heavy duty rear end option. The 8 3/4" rear may have been included in a trailer tow package, but that package could only be had with A/T. What about a manual trans?
Anybody know?

A vinyl top was also available on a Barracuda, perhaps a little later in the 65 model year.

Also, not meaning to high-jack this thread, but I have never been able to find out how a person could order a 8 3/4" for his or her A-body. Looking over the excellent information posted by 64_Barracuda, I see no reference to a heavy duty rear end option. The 8 3/4" rear may have been included in a trailer tow package, but that package could only be had with A/T. What about a manual trans?
Anybody know?
I could never see where a particular rear axle design was listed. As far as I can tell, rear ends were just listed by axle ratio. The 7 1/4, 8 3/4, and 9 3/4 all had different ratios. I also can't figure where the Sure Grip/ non Sure Grip codes are.

My 65 Barracuda has been stripped and parts thrown inside. Holes across roof tell me its a vinyl top option.think chrome is there.
My fender tag was destroyed by PO and a sander so i have no clue what color it was.

-
Back