66 273 hipo exhaust manifolds and shield factory color?

-

1966fish

Reaction score
Whats the factory painted exhaust manifolds color ?

All pic show red?

And what about the heat shields
i have a pair off a 66 hipo engine and look to have gloss black in spots that are not rusty

The ones on my 65 barracuda are painted the same red as the motor

engine painting was basically like this. for example, exh man were just bare cast iron, BUT they were bolted to the engine before it was painted. the guy painting the engine got whatever spray on the exh man that happened to go there. they were not really concerned with them. the paint would burn off them right. obviously NOT every component was on the engine when it was painted.
I take this info from reading articles years past by people that did this at the factory. ya know, years of reading mopar action! ha...... research the mag and ya might find the articles. it would detail those parts that went on after paint. I am thinking carb, wires, plugs, coil, throttle cable, etc comes to mind?
people now days might paint the man. with a cast iron paint that resists heat, then get some overspray on them to look " correct"?????

Okay :)

Love it!

Sounds right

All my 66 brochures show completely painted
But they are all just drawings so the burning off seems correct

Here you can see part of the exhaust manifolds. International red as factory.

FB_IMG_1468477155426.jpg

Nice pic Ulf! Is that the correct orientation for air breather and oil breather? My oil breather points to the firewall and hosw routes to firewall as well.
Thanks!

I have NOS 273 heat shields here. Those are medium gloss black. I don't know that it is paint. Could be anodize coating.

Nice pic Ulf! Is that the correct orientation for air breather and oil breather? My oil breather points to the firewall and hosw routes to firewall as well.
Thanks!
Well, according to several interviews with assembly line workers and several articles this is the way it should be. But Ma Mopar didn't always followed the routines......!

I have NOS 273 heat shields here. Those are medium gloss black. I don't know that it is paint. Could be anodize coating.
They are coated with black paint just for protection against rust. But they were always painted red except when they were replaced by the dealer.

Back around 1980, I replaced the exhaust gaskets. While ones with shields were not available at part stores. It was possible to get gaskets with flanges, so the shields were moved to new gasket. The gaskets were black, but I think it was a black oxide treatment for rust protection. Red paint can also turn black from heat.

yeah , if it is in fact paint, the body should have been painted so slick.

65Dartcharger has excellent info in the build thread of his car. Somewhere in there is the details of what is on the engine when it's painted and those parts might have red over-spray on them.

I have a 318 passenger side exhaust log that looks OEM or a new motor pull. It's blue like the block color blue. Don't know how long that would last on a hot log.

There are no "HP" exhaust manifolds for the early A. They are all the same. Just to clear that up.

-
Back