66 barracuda moulding clips needed

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to tell you that I looked for 6 years to find the set of rocker moulding clips for my 66 Cuda, and I finally found them on ebay about 4 years ago. Nobody reman's them and no other clip will work. Also, the pushpin center plug is not reman'd either, and I ended up using mollies in the hole in the rocker panels and a stainless steel screw through the hole where the pushpin would go. As for the upper door stainless, you should still be able to find the clips for those through R/T Specialties or Mr. G's Fasteners, they are a much more common clip and are used in a variety of other applications. I'll go out and shoot a picture of the rocker screw application I used, but you will still need the clips. I wish there was some good news on this front, but as of yet no one has stepped up to the plate for these one-off clips. Hope this helps, Geof

Clips needed for the rocker mouldings both sides and for the stainless on the top of the door exterior both sides any idea where to find them?

BUILD IT HERE BUY IT HERE!!
I have a pair of the door stainless with all clips from a 66 that im parting "very small dings in the stainless" if interested you can have the pair for $15 plus postage send me your full address for the postage dartin jack

I found the rocker moulding clips at Carlisle this year. I can't remember the name, and I didn't get the guys card, but it was the tent with all the old trim clips and fasteners in cardboard bins. Hopefully someone else here will remember the vendor's name.

if they are available,,restoration specialtys would be the vender to calll,,,

also i think it was 1969 or 70 AMC used the same rocker moldings as a 66 baracuda,,,,not sure if the exact length or not,,,but ide guess the same ones,,since AMC had ties to mopar,,,

i descovered it by accident,,,at a swap meet in indy,,,stopped and looked and said the the guy,,do u have any other 66 barracuda parts,, he said the rocker moldings were off of a AMX,,, so maybe this will help you find the clips

kool thanks,,,let every one know when and where you find the clips,,so the next guy can locate them,,,

OK 66cuda, heres the setup as far as the rocker mouldings go. As you can see in the picture, there are 2 mounting points for the mouldings. The top hole in the rocker panel accepts the screw for the clip. The clip itself acts like sort of a hook, where you install the clips and then "hang" the rocker moulding from it. At the bottom of the picture with the clip you can see where I used a hollow wall anchor, or "Mollie" in place of the old pushpin mount. The pushpin was a 2 piece design, where the sleeve of the pin mounted to the rocker and had barbs that went through the hole in the rocker panel. You then pushed a plastic pin through the hole and it spread out the barbs thereby holding it to the rocker panel. I had some of the pushpin sleeves, but they were so dry and cracked that I knew they were not going to hold up to another 40 years on the road. The mollie works great, and I just used a stainless screw through the moulding into the mollie and it holds like iron. Once installed, you can't see the screw unless you're on the ground looking up, and if you're down there next to my car you better be helping me change the oil!!! I hope all this helps, and I cringe at the thought of you having to drill out the rocker to run a screw through the top hole where the clip mounts. I hope someone will step up and offer these clips, or if anybody has a source to recreate clips, I'd be happy to send one of my clips to be reproduced. Good luck with your project, Geof

000_0026.jpg

000_0027.jpg

000_0031.jpg

I have this out back if you need anything let me know and I'll ask about it. (technically it's my Uncles)
img_1492.jpg

Here's to ya there 37 fleetwood. Lets see, 66 cuda+ rockers still on= trim clips. Ask your uncle and be careful taking those rockers off. If you need to force anything, make it the pushpin clips on the bottom. Pop them if you have to, but lift the rockers UP towards the door to get them off. That will spare the clips in need. Thanks for posting the offer to help, Geof

well do we still need clips ???? if so no one e mailed me,,,,,how many per side,,,, ill see what i have,,,i also have a decent set of rockers

I have a couple of those cars that didn't come with the lower plastic rivet clips. They're both from the LA plant and they used phillips screws straight into the rocker panel instead. The holes weren't drilled for the plastic insert... just large enough for the screw to start. The upper hanger clips are the same however. They must have run out that day! I guess they must have drilled the holes and installed the rocker moulding at the same station or they would have had a mismatch when they tried to hang the moulding. I always thought they drilled the holes before they painted the car but I don't know how that could be now. Do you suppose they forgot to drill them out to the proper diameter and when it got to the rocker moulding station, they realized they couldn't install the plastic rivet and just went ahead and ran some screws in?
Thanks, Mark

after shoveling my way to my parts shed,, i only found 7 clips,,not enough to have an extra set in case i need them or to sell to do the job,,,he tells me he found some thing that worked,,,,he could of at least posted a pic of what he made work,,after all i shoveled my way thru the snow,,,,,,,

I have a couple of those cars that didn't come with the lower plastic rivet clips. They're both from the LA plant and they used phillips screws straight into the rocker panel instead. The holes weren't drilled for the plastic insert... just large enough for the screw to start. The upper hanger clips are the same however. They must have run out that day! I guess they must have drilled the holes and installed the rocker moulding at the same station or they would have had a mismatch when they tried to hang the moulding. I always thought they drilled the holes before they painted the car but I don't know how that could be now. Do you suppose they forgot to drill them out to the proper diameter and when it got to the rocker moulding station, they realized they couldn't install the plastic rivet and just went ahead and ran some screws in?
Thanks, Mark

Very interesting, Mark!!! I can only think that this problem wasn't going to hold up the line, and they made do with what they had!!!As rare as the clips and pushpins are today, I can only assume that it was also the case back then.
And I'm with you fstfish, I wish that members would conclude a thread when a resolution to their problem was achieved. And, it wouldn't be bad to see what his resolution was!!! Oh well, I guess we'll have to punt again!!! Geof

Those top clips shouldn't be that difficult to make when used as a hanger in conjunction with the molley idea discussed earlier in the thread.
It looks to me like it's just a matter of putting a small 45 degree Angle at the top of a flat steel tab and drilling a hole in it.
Or a person could purchase some aluminum carpet bar (actual name?) and cut them in one inch long pieces, they already have a hole in about the right location.

Nobody makes the 65 clips either, but I found some universal clips made by Au-ve-co Products that worked great and were under $10 for a box of 10, you just need to trim them to fit the molding. They just snap into the original hole instead of using the plugs. It beat paying Laysons $5 per clip for the ones he sells that also need modification before you can use them.

Au-ve-co makes 100's of clips so if you can find one of their catalogs, you will probably find something that will work on your 66. I bought mine at a body shop supply store.

Nobody makes the 65 clips either, but I found some universal clips made by Au-ve-co Products that worked great and were under $10 for a box of 10, you just need to trim them to fit the molding. They just snap into the original hole instead of using the plugs. It beat paying Laysons $5 per clip for the ones he sells that also need modification before you can use them.

Au-ve-co makes 100's of clips so if you can find one of their catalogs, you will probably find something that will work on your 66. I bought mine at a body shop supply store.

Sounds like the best suggestion so far.

I knew I saw this info somewhere - this was posted on the Early Valiant & Barracuda site:

"I ordered some new rocker panel trim clips (nylon fastener) for my 66 Barracuda from restoration specialties or restorationspecialties.com part # clp-93326.
phone number (814) 467-9842
They show on their website they fit a 66 charger, but for a $1.40 a clip I took a chance and it payed off. It's the same clip ! I called them to let them know if fits a 66 cuda also."

Here's the whole discussion:

==> http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/2/4035.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back