66 barracuda, won't start?

-

Dulynrod 66cuda

Reaction score
I need a second opinion. I have a 360 in a 66 barracuda. when I turn the key the starter relay clicks but it won't start. I checked for power on the starter solenoid when the key is turned to start and it has power. I can jump the starter and it turns. so...Relay or starter ?

Thanks

It sounds like a relay from what you described. clean and check all your connections.

I need a second opinion. I have a 360 in a 66 barracuda. when I turn the key the starter relay clicks but it won't start. I checked for power on the starter solenoid when the key is turned to start and it has power. I can jump the starter and it turns. so...Relay or starter ?

Thanks

Try cleaning your battery terminals and battery posts before doing anything. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged. Then, check all the connections to your starter relay plus the connections on the starter motor.

I'm going out on a limb and saying starter relay but only if car starts by jumping it out.

BTW... Welcome to the site. You find much better reception to fixing your problem if you follow the suggestions the members give you and report back.

Also, pictures are everything!!

Cheers!!

Me, I would turn the headlights on, if they dim when key is in the start position. I would then check battery and connections. Easy test no tools required......

Connections on starter !! Or a bad relay, or, you guys think it could me the key switch, if the switch wiggling a little it will let a start position wire loose... but hay I came in here to welcome you to this great site.
Welcome aboard and I am sure this will get figured out soon, my 66 Valiant is running and moving around the driveway :thumbsup: 370 hp 360 LA

17071730597763585023420705932267.jpg

Thanks
If the engine will crank over and start by bypassing the relay, the battery and it's connections are good enough. If the engine will crank and start by running a temporary hot wire to the solenoid connection on the relay, the relay and it's wiring to the starter are good enough. Try those tests first and let us know what the results are. Make sure you have the car in park/neutral with the E-brake firmly applied and/or wheels chocked, as some of these tests also bypass the neutral safety switch and allow the car to start in any gear.

Hello! and Thank You! I didn't mean to be rude. It's been a busy week :) Thanks to everyone that replied to my post. I got the car running. I think it was a compound problem? But all seems well for now. I just got this car in Dec. this is the first MOPAR it has been sitting for a long time. It's mostly all stock someone put a 360 from a motorhome in it, but that's about all that's changed. I'll have to make time to get in here more often you were all a big help. Here's a few pictures. It's Citron Gold, I remember the color. I don't see it too much these days.

102_0496.JPG

102_0495.JPG

102_0506.JPG

102_0508.JPG

Hello! and Thank You! I didn't mean to be rude. It's been a busy week :) Thanks to everyone that replied to my post. I got the car running. I think it was a compound problem? But all seems well for now. I just got this car in Dec. this is the first MOPAR it has been sitting for a long time. It's mostly all stock someone put a 360 from a motorhome in it, but that's about all that's changed. I'll have to make time to get in here more often you were all a big help. Here's a few pictures. It's Citron Gold, I remember the color. I don't see it too much these days.

View attachment 1716205419

View attachment 1716205420
That's a prize. Beautiful car. Hang on to it. Best of luck!!!

-
Back