'66 Dart GT Gauge Cluster Removal

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
Anyone know where to loosen up the right side of the guage cluster? The left side screws were no brainers (to the right and left of the column).

I need to get it out to get the fuel and temp gauges working again. I know this is a common issue and I've seen ammeter to voltmeter conversions. Should I do this while I'm back there?

Thanks.

It's been a while but I think you have to take the center panel off first
toolman

It's been a while but I think you have to take the center panel off first
toolman
That did the trick.

However; even after I manage to disconnect everything, while poping off a few posts I'm sure, I don't know if it will clear the column. Do I need to do anything with the steering column?

Thanks for the help. I'll continue this job in the morning ;)

The last time I pulled it I dropped the column. It came out easier. toolman

Yep, unbolt the column so it drops a little bit and the cluster will come right out.

I haven't bothered with a voltmeter conversion. Though now that I'm getting a 100 amp alternator I've been thinking about getting the ammeter modified to handle more current.

Yep, unbolt the column so it drops a little bit and the cluster will come right out.

I haven't bothered with a voltmeter conversion. Though now that I'm getting a 100 amp alternator I've been thinking about getting the ammeter modified to handle more current.
Is there any special trick to getting the column to drop a little? I unbolted the three bolts on the plate at the firewall and then the two nuts from the hanger off the dash. I noticed a few wires running up the top of the column, but it woudn't drop at all. I could rotate it a bit.

Anyhow, I put it all back together so I could drive around tonight. I'll tackle it again once I figure out if I'm going to do a conversion or at least replace the ammeter.

Thanks again.

That's all I did myself. In fact, I didn't unbolt it at the firewall.

I unbolt it under the dash and pull down on the steering wheel a bit

-
Back