66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-
Yeah, this crap with the alu pieces with seized steel bolts in them gets old really quick ...
Not looking forward to doing the 100K mile platinum plug change on my 08 chevy. They havent been messed with since new almost 10 years ago. Its gonna be fun. NOT!! I use permatex silver antisieze on damn near everything though. Its a habit that dies hard. Comes from living my first 26 years in the rust belt.

Last edited:
Hi Anders, i decided to check your thread. Everythings coming along nicely. A piece from here, a piece from there.

The inside of a bendix drive is pretty cool isnt it? The air starter drive on the Rolls Royce AE3007A jet engines we work on is somewhat similar, also if you ever go all the way into the A-727 of yours there is a similar setup inside your transmission with rollers and springs.

Glad to see your thread is up and alive. I been collecting up parts for the half stripped 69 notchback i now have to rebuild with my son some day. Now i have almost a complete car to work with.

Hi Anders, i decided to check your thread. Everythings coming along nicely. A piece from here, a piece from there.

The inside of a bendix drive is pretty cool isnt it? The air starter drive on the Rolls Royce AE3007A jet engines we work on is somewhat similar, also if you ever go all the way into the A-727 of yours there is a similar setup inside your transmission with rollers and springs.

Glad to see your thread is up and alive. I been collecting up parts for the half stripped 69 notchback i now have to rebuild with my son some day. Now i have almost a complete car to work with.
Hi Matt,

Yeah, I've been hoarding a lot, working less. :) Really primed to get some progress, though.

A father/son project sounds great! I wish I could somehow spark my kids' interest in doing stuff with their hands.

Not looking forward to doing the 100K mile platinum plug change on my 08 chevy. They havent been messed with since new almost 10 years ago. Its gonna be fun. NOT!! I use permatex silver antisieze on damn near everything though. Its a habit that dies hard. Comes from living my first 26 years in the rust belt.
huh - I gotta ask - why? My 08 Silverado is still going strong at 173k - I've never even considered changing the plugs.

huh - I gotta ask - why? My 08 Silverado is still going strong at 173k - I've never even considered changing the plugs.
Book on this one says change em at 100K oh its still a little peppy, and idles nice, but my mileage is suffering now. I get 23.5 combined city highway with a twin cam 2.2 Ecotec engine. I used to get 28 combined city highway when car was new. No fault codes bad sensors etc. Its time. Autolite double platinum plugs arent expensive thru rock auto when shippings combined with parts i need for other car projects.

Book on this one says change em at 100K oh its still a little peppy, and idles nice, but my mileage is suffering now. I get 23.5 combined city highway with a twin cam 2.2 Ecotec engine. I used to get 28 combined city highway when car was new. No fault codes bad sensors etc. Its time. Autolite double platinum plugs arent expensive thru rock auto when shippings combined with parts i need for other car projects.
I am going to have to consider this... thanks! - though with the 5.3 and bigger tires --- I may just leave well enough alone - if it ain't broke...

After some goofing around in the basement yesterday afternoon, I finally got feeling and decided to slap the intake back on last night. After some express advice from the fellas in the coffee thread, I got that sorted even though my assortment of intake bolts were missing at first and, once found, of five different lengths ...

IMG_9077.jpg

I plan to get this thing running so I can go for a quick test drive (yes, I know I've been saying that for a while ...) before snowfall. I though this was a good time to fit my MP valve covers but they interfered with the kickdown linkage bracket on the driver's side and the generator bracket on the passenger side. So the old chrome ones would have to do for now. They were not really leaking last time I had the engine running but I had to tighten them really hard to get them to stop so I decided to straighten them out a bit. They sure needed it ...

IMG_9087.jpg
IMG_9086.jpg
IMG_9088.jpg
IMG_9089.jpg

The LD340 interfered with the valve cover on the passenger side so I had to make a slot already there a little wider (I'll clean it up, I promise).

IMG_9081.jpg

Once they were straight and the mating surfaces cleaned up, I grabbed my 'new' cool valve cover bolts, only to find the threads were too long.

IMG_9092.jpg

And that nice, barbed hose fitting I got from McMaster-Carr - you can see it in the first pic - a tad on the long side. My bypass hose isn't happy ...

IMG_9090.jpg

That's when I had to call it a day and go upstairs and put my little one to bed. I'll be back at it today!

nice stuff Anders - but I see problem... that adapter for the bypass hose into the intake is way too long, which is why the hose went on like it did and that may very well cause you some trouble.. it's not going to flow for s**t and you might overheat. If it were me - and I had to use that piece, I would cut a 1/3 off of it... you may want to consider trimming the hose too. Nice stuff on those valve covers!!

I cut off that fitting and got the heater hose to fit a little better. It's still pinched but not too bad. The hole in the fitting is only 1/2" anyway.

IMG_9100.JPG

IMG_9104.JPG

And here's what the whole contraption looks like with custom valve cover washers.

IMG_9095.JPG

IMG_9097.JPG

Well, it's been a busy couple of days. After putting the valve covers on, I got the thing running and tried to break in the cam. It was loud and lovely. This time I opened all the windows first to avoid passing out on the garage floor.

The fun stopped when coolant started spraying everywhere from the overflow nipple. I let her cool off and cleaned up the mess.

IMG_9105.JPG

I set up a makeshift expansion tank. We'll see how it works later on. Don't confuse it with the jerry tank I use as a gas tank. The cap is different. :D

IMG_9107.JPG

I then turned my attention elsewhere. I decided to finally get the brakes working and started by cleaning out the old brake fluid in the master cylinder and filling it up with some fresh DOT-5 and bleeding it.

IMG_9113.JPG

The mounting itself involved fabbing an adapter bracket since I don't have the brake booster that's supposed to go there. Luckily, the PO had made one to fit the VW brake booster he was planning on using so four of the holes were drilled already. I decided to drill and tap and used four of the shiny new bolts @halifaxhops sent me!

IMG_9116.JPG

Forgot to trim the excess for the first installation attempt. Naturally.

IMG_9119.JPG

But now it's there! Next step will be brake lines! I got myself a roll of copper-nickel tube and a bag of adhesive cable anchors. I'm only going for a short drive so I don't need proper hardware, methinks.

I'm missing the rod that pokes the master piston, though. Can't find one in the stuff that came with the car. They can't be impossible to find, though.

IMG_9120.JPG

Today I made the first brake line. From m/c to distribution block, front circuit. Made for a pretty dang good siphon, emptied the reservoir on my garage floor in just a couple of minutes ... :BangHead:

Started mounting the RH said brake caliper. One of the threads took some cleaning out. I wonder if on of the PO:s used an M12 in there or something. My custom fabbed caliper bolts fit very nicely once that was done, though!

Can't make sense of this stuff, though. I knew the brake lines I got close to two years ago were too short but had sort of hoped they would work anyway. Or that I could use the old ones for now. They're pretty ok.

I guess I'll better google some pics.

IMG_9125.JPG

IMG_9127.JPG

IMG_9124.JPG

IMG_9126.JPG

Today, I plan on getting the calipers installed - with the brake hose bracket in place this time - and maybe bend a brake line or two.

All that's left before I can go for a test drive then is:
- Steering column (it's just laying there on the floor of the car)
- Some kind of roadkill-style gas tank
- Brake piston pushrod
- Bleed the brakes
- Gas pedal and cable (I've got a newer style 'hanging' one that I want to try)
- Maybe a temp gauge?
- Bonus: Kick-down cable (Not likely, don't have much stuff to fab a bracket)

When I was under the car installing the brake distribution block, I noticed it has the driver's side muffler mounted. Seems I only disconnected the other one for some reason. Must have been when I took the pass. side head off for compression measurement. I think I'll remove that. I don't have anything to hold it up so I might as well run open manifolds.

More fun, too. :)

If fortue shines upon me, I could actually run the thing today! More likely tomorrow, though. Or - more likely - in October ...

When I was under the car installing the brake distribution block, I noticed it has the driver's side muffler mounted. Seems I only disconnected the other one for some reason. Must have been when I took the pass. side head off for compression measurement. I think I'll remove that. I don't have anything to hold it up so I might as well run open manifolds.

I would go ahead and hook the passenger side back up rather than run straight out of the manifolds!

If you can't find them soon, I'll send you some
That's a generous offer, Don. They're 7.39 shipped from Rock Auto so I'll get them there. Whil I wait, I can route the brake lines and mount the steering column. And a seat. I forgot the seat.

You need a passenger seat - well - not right now but for sure by next May! I want a ride in your beast during the time we stop for a visit!

You need a passenger seat - well - not right now but for sure by next May! I want a ride in your beast during the time we stop for a visit!
Oh, that's right! I have an actual reason to finish the car! I haven't thought about your visit in that way. I better start moving!

-
Back