'66 Dart GT rocker molding clips

-

60jerry

Reaction score
It has become clear to me that finding some of those clips will be a bit difficult. I'm wondering if anyone on here might be able to post a few nice clear multi-positional pics of one of those clips. Looks like I'll be making my own clips and I'd like to have a pictorial headstart.

Thanks all

It has become clear to me that finding some of those clips will be a bit difficult. I'm wondering if anyone on here might be able to post a few nice clear multi-positional pics of one of those clips. Looks like I'll be making my own clips and I'd like to have a pictorial headstart.

Thanks all

g'day
i have a 66 dart convert , and the previous owner had lost these clips ,i feel your pain, being in australia i searched everywhere for these clips, no luck , not repro'ed etc etc, even thou people claim to make em .. when you ask em or try to order the they dont haveor /make em ... i looked at different mopar models even aussies one s , no luck , i tried to make em , but damn hard due to the 4 clips on each clip needed to clip into the body i was even told to uerothane them and use 2 screws to hold em one ...f/me!! in the end ...i found a guy on this site wreacking a dart out , i bought his 2nd hand clips ,bead blasted em , repaired and stighted em out then painted them in 2pac rust proctor paint, yes they are bloody impossible to find , someone should repro em and make sum$$$$ , the only new clip i was able to get was for the front guard as it is generic a single bolt hole clip

good luck mate
mr ad

yeah I feel your pain.:banghead: I posted a WTB ad here and sent pic's to RTspecialties and others to see if they had any idea where to get them. nope no answer from any one of them. I hope to find a car that has them and is being parted. that seems to be the only way your going to get them.

I still need 6 of those clips to refurbish the 1 dart I'm working on. I don't know how many I need for the other dart yet.

here's the pic's
View attachment 2011_1109workcar0058.jpg
in the pic's the 2 sets of pins that locate the molding had a small (maybe rubber/felt type) disc on them to stop water infiltration. I'm looking for a replacement (disc)for the good ones so I can use them. hmmm bike inner tube
with a punch might be thin enough to do it. you can see the faded circle around the pins to give you an idea of how big the were.

I did forget to put a ruler on them. I'll try later to find the 2 good clips and put a ruler to them so you can see the dimensions

Attachments

• 2011_1109workcar0059.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 253
66Dvert,

The pics are a good help. The ruler next to it would not be necessary because the spacing of the holes in the rocker panel and the width of the molding itself pretty much dictate dimensions. Looks like there are metal fingers that go through the rocker panel holes and expand as with many other clips. Thanks for posting the pics.

AussieDart,

The pain must be double, being so far from the original parts, such as they are (or aren't).

I'll be spending some time figgerin' out a way to make my own clips. That sounds a bit challenging.

Jerry

66Dvert,

The pics are a good help. The ruler next to it would not be necessary because the spacing of the holes in the rocker panel and the width of the molding itself pretty much dictate dimensions. Looks like there are metal fingers that go through the rocker panel holes and expand as with many other clips. Thanks for posting the pics.

AussieDart,

The pain must be double, being so far from the original parts, such as they are (or aren't).

I'll be spending some time figgerin' out a way to make my own clips. That sounds a bit challenging.

Jerry

hi mate
they are a real mongral to try make ...i tried .....failed ..:violent1:..... once i found sum cleaned and painted em , i put a good amount of non curing windscrean sealent on the backs of the clips ....
good luck, if you find someone how repro's em i will buy a set !:):)

ooops double post

Attachments

• misc for sale 019.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 223
  • misc for sale 020.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 200
I do believe these clips are from a 66 Dart I parted out nearly 20 years ago. They "might" be the same for a 66 Barracuda rocker molding

Attachments

• misc for sale 020.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 214
  • misc for sale 019.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 228
The '66 Barracuda ones are different. They use a plastic "hanger" clip at the top of the moulding and a phillips screw or plastic rivet at the bottom edge.

I may have some NOS Dart clips in my misc clip box. Post the dimemsions and I'll look.
Thanks, Mark

Nope, just checked all my clips and I don't have any like those.
Thanks, Mark

66Dvert,

AussieDart,

Jerry

I sacrificed one of my clips to make a resin mold. I've got 1/2 the mold done just waiting on it to cure. Instead of those pinch clips to hold it in the holes I'm going to drill holes into the resin clip and just use pushpin style that fit in the holes in the body.. I've added extra bulk to the clip part of the molding clip so it's less prone to breaking. Hopefully it'll work.
View attachment pushpins.JPG

View attachment !!!!!! clip modified.jpg

View attachment DSCF4185.jpg

View attachment DSCF4186.jpg

View attachment DSCF4187.jpg

as soon as it cures I'll flip the mold over and pour the other side,wait for it to cure and pour a test setup. THEN I get to make a mold of the cast piece with the holes drilled in it so I won't have to drill all the others:D that is if it works.

ARGHHHHH!:eek:ops: well that was an epic FAIL. the center section of the clip was just too flexible. and wouldn't stay in place when I tried to clip it on.

back to the drawing board. I've got some clay that I'll be adding to the center section of the clip to see if that will help stiffen it up and seeing if I can bend some metal over a form for the actual clip ends.. no no pic's of the fail, it came out too bad :banghead: or add some strips of metal into the plastic as I'm pouring them hmmmmm....

66Dvert, you are an inspiration to everyone on FABO.
Never seen a bloke so dogged to the cause as you.

Well done mate - keep up the good work.
Can't wait to see your Darts done!

66Dvert, you are an inspiration to everyone on FABO.
Never seen a bloke so dogged to the cause as you.

Well done mate - keep up the good work.
Can't wait to see your Darts done!

Thanks can't wait to get them done. I'm going forward 1 step and back 2 darnit! is Dogged the same as stubborn, bullheaded and just plain cantankerous? I fit that EXACTLY:D

-
Back