66 Dart heater and air conditioning

-

Alf

Reaction score
Our 66 Dart has had the a/c and heater plumbing removed from the /6 engine.

Everything is complete inside the car and I have the parts to reinstall. (I think)

The a/c was removed when the headers were installed by the previous owner.

I can figure out most of it but there are a couple of hoses to a fitting on the heater hoses. (The heater water flow control ? ) There are a couple of what appear to be small vacuum hoses which I assume is the original vacuum line from the carb to the distributor?

Anyone have some clear pictures of the heater and a/c lines on a /6 ?

Not the best picture but maybe this will help you out a little.

998_0518.jpg

Thanks for the pics. The unit circled has two what appear to be vacuum lines. Does this just fit in to the line from the carb to the dissy?

Looking through various pictures not all vehicles have this unit. Exactly what does it do? Is it to alter water flow for heat difference in the heater? Wouldn't there be that function in the heater itself?

That is the water control valve. The vacuum dashpot turns a gate valve to turn the water on and off. On for heat, off for AC. The dashpot has a hose connection on each side, the dash control switches the vacuum to the desired port. There is a third hose that feeds the switch, it is fed from the intake manifold port. It typically goes thru the firewall in a grommet, then inside to the switch. I think it is inbetween the master cylinder and distributor in your picture. The vacuum hoses to the water control dashpot come thru the firewall near fan motor on passenger side firewall.

The AC control switch is often brittle, may leak, and need care or replacement. It controls both electrical and vacuum functions, there is also a vacuum dashpot on heater evaporator box.

Brittle is an understatement. If your dashboard vacuum switch is bad, I was able to order a new one from Autozone for a 1969 Newport. It worked on my 65 Dart. That was at least two years ago so I can't say if they are still available.

The vacuum hoses are an assembly. Five hoses all molded to the same connector. If your under hood hoses are brittle, you can get a new set off just about any 60's or 70's mopar. Not sure if they continued into the 80's. Of course you could also repair them with some connectors and additional vacuum hose.

This may help you as well:

[ame]http://www.jholst.net/65-parts-manual/air-conditioning.pdf[/ame]

-
Back