66 dart slant 6 to 360

-

Ryan148

Reaction score
I have a 1966 dart 2 door sedan I want to swap a 360 in place of my current slant 6. My current drivetrain is a 225 mated to a 904.

Now I now I need a new 904 because the bell housings are different. But other than that I believe the same mounts and linkages will bolt right up and the drive shaft length shouldn't change. Ive also herd I might need a different drag link to clear the 360s oil pan.
(correct me if I'm wrong)
And I will have to get a conversion motor mount kit.
But as far as I believe it's
new 360
New 904
360 conversion motor mounts

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know

View attachment 1716079527

Your kick down linkages won’t work, they sell a cheaper lokar kick down cable and gas pedal cable assembly for cheap will bolt on to a four barrel intake and 904 or 727, now for the exhaust either choke you motor with the stock early abodymanifolds or spend some serious cash for headers or do some fabrication installing a 340 drive side manifold and a Jeep Grand Cherokee passenger manifold

Radiator, V8 steering centerlink, 360 passenger car oil pan/pickup/dipstick if the 360 came from a truck, Early A cable-type V8 throttle linkage (yours has a throttle rod), the aforementioned kickdown linkages for A body, Early A body v8 exhaust manifolds if you have power steering- headers or late A manifolds and some mods if you don't, conversion kit for the 360 electronic ignition in your '66... If you're going to run dual exhaust, the trans. crossmember needs to be modified; you need to seriously consider a brake upgrade, larger torsion bars, and eventually a rear end- the 7.25 will only take a limited amount of pounding.
Please use the "Search" function- there are TONS of posts on this that will keep you reading for the rest of the week, this gets asked all the time...

Last edited:
My old 66 /6 Valiant had a drop down centre link already in it. That is how it came as I doubt anyone would change out that part. I also had another guy with a 66 /6 car that came with a drop centre link so I would check what you have before trying to obtaining one.

And professer Fate nailed the rest of the stuff.

My old 66 /6 Valiant had a drop down centre link already in it. That is how it came as I doubt anyone would change out that part. I also had another guy with a 66 /6 car that came with a drop centre link so I would check what you have before trying to obtaining one.

And professer Fate nailed the rest of the stuff.
Yeah, I think the '66s more commonly used the dropped centerlink across the board- it seems '65 and back you run into the slant 6 links more often; but it still needs to be mentioned... :)

New converter that's either balanced for a 360 or with the appropriate B&M flexplate. The current converter also has a smaller snout and spline count that's not compatible with later transmissions.

I keep forgetting what year torqueflite converter snouts and input spline counts "normalized" (1967?). Make sure you don't have a later lock-up trans/converter because they changed the spline counts again (around '78-'80).

1681901616033.jpeg

I have a 1966 dart 2 door sedan I want to swap a 360 in place of my current slant 6. My current drivetrain is a 225 mated to a 904.

Now I now I need a new 904 because the bell housings are different. But other than that I believe the same mounts and linkages will bolt right up and the drive shaft length shouldn't change. Ive also herd I might need a different drag link to clear the 360s oil pan.
(correct me if I'm wrong)
And I will have to get a conversion motor mount kit.
But as far as I believe it's
new 360
New 904
360 conversion motor mounts

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know

View attachment 1716079527
I just did a swap on our 65 Valliant.went with a champion rad and it fits perfect.

-
Back