66 Formula S project

-
4spd cuda,I've been working on my 66 for 2 years now 340,727,mini tubbed,narrowed posi 8 3/4,custom paint,I am getting close. got all the glass back in and just started putting in a ron francis wiring kit.Stay with it. It will be worth it in the long run.

lets hear about the ron francis wiring kit,,thats my next project on my 66 and ron francis is the man,,,,,what kit are you using ?? and what type or charging system,, i want to hide all the wiring,,and ignition box under the dash,,,,,had a smaller heater/defrost made to freee up some space,,,,,dont meen to hi jack this topic,,,,

I just called and talked to them. They told me which one I needed (the express),so I ordered it.So far I have the engine compartment all wired.All wires are hidden pretty good.I still have the steering colum and headers out so that makes easier to hide the wires.I can recommend it so far ,not too hard just time consuming.

I dont reply much on this site but it has answered alot of questions I've had over the last 2 years on this project, and I surely appriciate all the info. Thanks guys

are the wires long enough to hide,,,and what are you using for a charging system??? one wire altenator??? or standard alt with external regulator ??

The wires are long enough to hide so far. The alt. is standard with external reg. I ran the wires thru the radiator support and along the bottom of the alumi. rad. looks clean.The battery is relocated in the trunk area with the fuel cell.All the battery wires are located low against the frame.That cleans up alot of the engine compartment.Have the after market electronic ignition so those wires will be covered. I'll try to get some pics of the engine compartment later.

kool thanks,,, i want a clean fire wall,,,alt wiresd to come up from underneith hidden,,,im guessing your using the ford regulator ?? did the kit come with head lite relays ?? the only thing you have to do is make your own wiper, wires i believe??? and are you useing the orignal ignition switch or the one from ron francis? im going to use the factory switch,,

I bought the regulator from him and located it near the fuse panel under the dash. Came with a new lite switch but No lite relays but I'm going to buy them from him. I havent decided which ign. switch I'm using, a new one will match the lite switch and looks great. about 40 bucks. Make ur own wiper, heater fan, dome lite wires. he sells matching wires by length.

4spd cuda,I've been working on my 66 for 2 years now 340,727,mini tubbed,narrowed posi 8 3/4,custom paint,I am getting close. got all the glass back in and just started putting in a ron francis wiring kit.Stay with it. It will be worth it in the long run.
Thank you. Did you install the glass yourself? I'd like to get some tips on the glass install, particularly the rear window if you can help me there. I'd like to see more photos of your car also, it looks great on your avatar.:cheers:

lets hear about the ron francis wiring kit,,thats my next project on my 66 and ron francis is the man,,,,,what kit are you using ?? and what type or charging system,, i want to hide all the wiring,,and ignition box under the dash,,,,,had a smaller heater/defrost made to freee up some space,,,,,dont meen to hi jack this topic,,,,
No worries here, I'd like to know about that harness too.

I bought the regulator from him and located it near the fuse panel under the dash. Came with a new lite switch but No lite relays but I'm going to buy them from him. I havent decided which ign. switch I'm using, a new one will match the lite switch and looks great. about 40 bucks. Make ur own wiper, heater fan, dome lite wires. he sells matching wires by length.

the regulator they sell or instruct you to use is a off the parts shelf ford unit,,i would think you could still use the mopar style regulator,,but the ford unit may be more readily available at the parts store,

the ignition switch they carry is the same as alll the aftermarket wiring companies,,its basicly a fork lift key switch,,ron francis has a factory looking key blank ,,,but im plan on using the orignal ignition switch,, i have one of those after market key switches in my street rod,,its basicly junk IMO and comming out,,,

I must say I sure am enjoying this thread on your 66 S =P~
We have some body shops here that sure could learn something here from you :cheers:
I am hoping on putting a few more miles on Victoria and then have some lower 1/4 work dun and this thread has me all fired up and can't wait to have my small shop built this spring I hope.
Keep up the good work and I hope it warms up for ya soon.8)
It hit over 50F yesterday here on the hill :-D
But it's cooled down to 40 and trying to rain :-D

AAA BATTERY 006.jpg

Very nice work there 4spd66. I can't wait to see the finished product. By the way, those floor pans look good, you did an outstanding job, especially since it started out as a file cabinet!!! Keep up the good work, Geof

I must say I sure am enjoying this thread on your 66 S =P~
We have some body shops here that sure could learn something here from you :cheers:
I am hoping on putting a few more miles on Victoria and then have some lower 1/4 work dun and this thread has me all fired up and can't wait to have my small shop built this spring I hope.
Keep up the good work and I hope it warms up for ya soon.8)
It hit over 50F yesterday here on the hill :-D
But it's cooled down to 40 and trying to rain :-D
Thanks Mike, hopefully I'll get a chance to get back at it soon. I'll post more pics when work progresses. I wish you the best with your new shop. I could probably fab up a set of lower quarters for you, but I would just about have to have the car on hand to get it all to fit up right since they're made from multiple pieces. I would hate to send you shoddy parts!! Your car looks pretty solid from the photos I've seen. Victoria's a pretty girl!!8)

Very nice work there 4spd66. I can't wait to see the finished product. By the way, those floor pans look good, you did an outstanding job, especially since it started out as a file cabinet!!! Keep up the good work, Geof
Thanks Geof, I can't wait either!! Working with metal is tricky, plus I don't really have "proper" equipment. The work I'm doing would not pass with the Pebble Beach crowd, but it will be just fine for my driver. More pics will follow as work resumes.

I had to make a patch for the inner fender where the battery acid leaked and made an ugly hole. Sorry I don't have a "before" photo of it but it was bad. I made a paper pattern of the patch and bent it over a piece of pipe to get the contour. Here it is from both sides. A little filler will smooth it all in.

battery tray mount repair.jpg

back side of repair.jpg

The aftermarket sway bar I got is a much larger diameter than the original and did not mount up like the original either. I didn't like the way the brackets supplied with it located. The mounts would have sat vertically instead of horizontally and the lower part would have just been hanging in the breeze. This is a mount I made from 3/8 inch bar stock. There will be gussets added once everything is in place, these are just trial fitted for now.

sway bar mount.jpg

sway bar mount mock up.jpg

Somewhere along the way the strut rod mount was "repaired". I ground all that down and will re-weld it later. I filled the old sway bar mount holes too.

The battery tray that was in this car was not original to it. I think it came out of a bus or something. This rusty one is out of a '64 Valiant I found in a salvage yard. Here is my attempt to "make it all better".

batt tray back side.jpg

batt tray inside.jpg

batt tray location.jpg

batt tray patch 1.jpg

batt tray patch 2.jpg

I had a lot of play in the trunk hinges and I thought the holes were worn out in the center sections. Turns out the hinge pins were rusted in two. Ask Blownfish what happens next. Anyway, I drilled them out and replaced the the puny 3/16 original pin with a beefy 1/4 inch one. The hinge pin package is from Autozone and will do one set of door hinges and one trunk hinge on a first gen Barracuda. The part number is 38381 and is the"Help!" brand.

center hinge 2.jpg

hinge rep1.jpg

hinge rep4.jpg

hinge rep2.jpg

hhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp. good stuff when you are in a bind on these old cars. ive done that a couple of times myself. the car looks like its coming along nicely. rock on man.

Great work brother !!

yehaaa now you go fast forward, I should like to seeeeee what you dooooooo

The trunk hinges my Frend is Metall worker He does the Job for MY :)

THX for the information 4spdcuda66

Thanks for the kudos guys, I appreciate the encouragement. I started on the buckets a while back and then life got in the way a while. Most of the wrinkles will probably come out and some look like they may not but here it is. The other one looks about like this one. You can tell a pro did not do it. Those listings around the outsides are a real PAIN IN THE @$$ The rear seat will have to wait a while, the repop covers have some size issues that the manufacturer will have to correct. I'll keep you posted on that.

cuda bucket.jpg

Thanks for the kudos guys, I appreciate the encouragement. I started on the buckets a while back and then life got in the way a while. Most of the wrinkles will probably come out and some look like they may not but here it is. The other one looks about like this one. You can tell a pro did not do it. Those listings around the outsides are a real PAIN IN THE @$$ The rear seat will have to wait a while, the repop covers have some size issues that the manufacturer will have to correct. I'll keep you posted on that.

SET THE SEAT OUT IN THE SUN LITE,, OR USE A HEAT GUN TO WORK OUT THE WRINKLES,,,DONT OVER HEAT OR BURN THE MATERIAL

-
Back