66 Valiant Convertible

-
THANKS bunches... I would have NEVER figured it out on my own. There are a lot of things I remembered on this build, and even more when I did my 64 Chevelle frame off (I wasnt as organized, and it was over 5 years and a house move, shop build and paint between tear down and build. I am SOOO pumped to get this bad boy done. It is going to be a really great car.

THANKS bunches... I would have NEVER figured it out on my own. There are a lot of things I remembered on this build, and even more when I did my 64 Chevelle frame off (I wasnt as organized, and it was over 5 years and a house move, shop build and paint between tear down and build. I am SOOO pumped to get this bad boy done. It is going to be a really great car.

No problem! Car is looking great, can't wait to see it done :glasses7:

Had a windshield company come out yesterday, installed brand new glass, brand new rubber seal, brand new locking strip and sealed the rubber seal inside and outside. Got the rest of the trim polished and on the car.

We still need to rebuild the conv. top pump because it leaks, get it hooked up and then get that drive train in.

I have decided to paint the rear bumper rattle can chassis black because it it horribly rusted. We are waiting for replacement carpet. I got the carpet on Wednesday but it was for 67-76, not the earlier body SOOOO I am waiting for the new carpet before I can finish the interior.

One problem I have is on the passenger side the top doesnt come into contact with the windows correctly, especially at the one of the joints of the top and where the two windows come together. The drivers side on the other hand has an issue with the top of the window not being far enough in. It comes into contact with the outter lip of the top seal. I tried adjusting the bottom window track out to put the top of the window in but that didn't make any difference to the top of the window. The rear quarter window on the drivers side is PERFECT. The passenger side could probably roll up further but then it would be higher than the door glass, which cant roll up any further or it would push the rubber/plastic piece out of the wing window SOOO I am in that limbo of glass adjustment that ALWAYS gives me headaches on restoration projects.

Still waiting on the carpet. After having the restoration shop send me the 67+ carpet, they had to have their wherhouse make a 66 carpet set and get it sent out.

We finalized the electrical, adding underdash courtesey lights, as well as a trunk lite.

We got the hydraulic pump taken apart and hopefully sealed up, and then installed it.

The doors are giving us HUGE fits, with the new door seal in the doors are troublesome to get to close, and when they do the botom sticks out 1/4"-3/8" from the body.

The engine is installed, coolant added oil added and everything connected to it cept the battery. We are waiting on the battery tray. Of all the parts that COULD have come up missing during a total shop cleaning and reorganizing, we lost a neg. bat cable and the bat. tray itself.

The glass company came out and installed the windshiedl with a brand new seal and lock strip.

The top is also giving me some trouble. The driver's side portion of the conv. top holds up a little higher, and it sits back further on the top of the windshield. The door windows dont touch the window seals either, you can put your pinky through the top of the door.

Here is one from yesterday morning:

engineisin_zps3bf089df.jpg

Here is a few pictures that we took today (sunday) before we installed the bumper, but after we washed her up.

washedup_zps1d76b120.jpg

washedup3_zps6fb4c26c.jpg

washedup2_zps8eb72a20.jpg

woooo hooo. Took her for a drive and put new gas in it. BUT when all was said and done this afternoon, finally got to the point to start it. We did, but no fuel was being pumped. Checked the fuel line by opening the fuel tank and blowing backwards throught the line, it was clear. I then jacked the back end up and allowed fuel to run up through the fuel line. SOOO I checked suction on the fuel pump and there was very little so we replaced the pump and it started up.

BUT then it just stopped running out of now where. I checked ignition and we were having some spark issues. I pulled the plugs and found two that had broken inside insulators. I replaced the plugs and it started right up.

Everything went well, we ran it for about 20 minutes in the shop checking vitals, making adjustments and checking for leaks. All was good so we took it to fill up gas, get some scratch remover and some new sensors, since the ones that I had purchased before were for gauges and it has idiot lights.

Tomorrow I take it to the apraiser so that I can get an appraisal for insurance, and then it is off to the BIG Turlock, California Swap meet and attempt to sell it. If we dont sell it for the right price tomorrow, we will hold on to it and put it on ebay.

-
Back