66 Valiant Convertible

-
UTI called, it is loaded in a trailer, and it will be here tomorrow morning. I'll make sure and take some pictures of her and load them up tomorrow when I get her home.

By the way Memike, My Dad was born in Holley Grove, directly West of West Memphis. Not sure if you know where it is but stil have family there.

Never been in the town but I have been to Helena a few times by the river.
Looks like your family is about 110 miles from me.
Looking forward to seeing your Valiant tomorrow
Have a great evening and try to sleep tonight =D>

I can't complain over free paint and body, but I have to clena the inner fenders, and sub frame. Since they didn't paint it body color, I decided to clean it best I can and spray undercoating on it. Sprayed the entire inner fender with the ruberized undercoating, and shot "chassis black on the sub frame (below the pinch weld). I have also sanded and repainted the dash and replaced the upper ball joints, and strut rod bushings. Tomorrow gonna put the dash back back together and then get going on some stuff I wanna sell on ebay.

I got some parts for 71 Challenger I gotta sell to make some money for the Valiant.

Wheres them pics of it coming home?? I am following along for the ride as I have a 66 Signet convertible I am doing a complete resto on also!! I'd love to see what the lads and lasses have done for you!! Geof

This is a pic of when I transferred from onetrailer to the other.
valiantontrailer.jpg

The fenders where only on by two bolts, so we took them off. The doors haven't been adjusted correctly and I have to reinstall the glass.

You can also see the door is a little lighter in color, the rest of the car is the same, they had to repaint the door due to some issues on the paint on the inside so because of that it was painted about 5 months apart. They also buffed it out for me.

You have done a great job on your car. Looking good. Will it be ready by next summer?

I think they did a pretty good job for you, and I would be proud to show their work off. I don't think the inner fender undercoating issue is much of a problem either, it's gonna get a little rocky down there any way!!

Good for you to have such a great deal fall in your lap. I hope it gives you a leg up on getting the car done faster so you can enjoy it sooner. Keep the pics of your progress coming, I think it's gonna turn out great!! Geof

Got the doors adjusted corectly, trunk adjusted, and wanted to get the front fenders on. We cleaned and coated the front splash shields and the inside of the front fenders with ruberized undercoating. Planning on getting the fenders on and adjusted tomorrow.

I also didn't like the plane look of the wheels,
before.jpg

so I took the wheels to school, removed the tires, steam cleaned and popped the rivits out. We wire wheeled the rivits and I powdercoated the rims semi gloss black and left the outter hoop aluminum and then reinstalled the rivits. I really like the look much better.

after.jpg

We also completed the front suspension, fixed some wiring issues, and then installed the dash, engine, and front light harnesses. The harnesses weren't too bad.

Here are a few up to date pics. I have the interior to put back together, waiting on the carpet, rebuilt the heater box (waiting on the heater core coming tomorrow), and made a home made cold air door for the drivers side vent. I removed the steering column and painted it, had to dye the tan arm rest pad and paint the base, repainted the back inner pannel trim and we got the top reinstalled and adjusted with new window seals. We also installed the fire wall insulation pad, but the right hand piece had the insulation glued on the wrong side, so we had to carefully remove it and glue it to the otherside.

I have to say, for a lot of things not being repoped or available for this build, that firewall pad was EXCELENT, and a perfect match, much better than the one for my 64 Chevelle.

We still have the bumpers and drive train to install, connect the rear wire harness and waiting on my new tail light lenses.

We also made the lower trunk trim out of a piece of 71 challenger trim by cutting it short and bending the end over to close it off... It turned out AWESOME.

topon_zps9594c43e.jpg

tanarmrest_zps32a74042.jpg

homemadecoldairdoor_zps5e49215e.jpg

completedoorpanel_zpsb6a7865b.jpg

Thanks for the update.
Great looking convert!
I bet you can't wait to get it on the road.

I took my 66 Valiant convertible with me when I moved from California to the midwest. Red with red interior and white top. Stlant six, 3 on a tree. Needs restored. I'm a teacher too but I doubt my 9th grade American history students would be up to the task of restoration. Great car.

Got the heater box rebuilt and installed, as well as the dash tonight. I didnt install the insturment bezel yet. I am waiting on the carpet to arrive tomorrow.

This is the Heater box installed

heaterbox_zps969e29c0.jpg

the dash
dash_zps3f650c1d.jpg

My wife and I had the top and interior done 5 years ago when we bought the car, so we will be re-using it as is. the seats are a mixture of black vinyl and cloth. The carpet is on order right now and should be here in the next day or so. The other carpet which was only 5 years old was full of hydraulic oil because the conv. top pump leaked really badly and it trashed it.

When we got the car, the tops of the doors and tops of the rear inner 1/4 were black. Because the car was getting pained over a hundred miles away and for free, I didn't feel like trying to go back and forth with the school and make sure they had the correct paint lines so I had them paint it all body color.

I have a couple of rubber parts that have two screws on them. I didn't put a descriptor on the drawer when I catalogged every part and I have NO idea what they go too. Could someone help me out here. Here are the parts hopefully someone can identify them.

unknownparts_zps10467ece.jpg

They are about 5 inches long and about 1.5-2 inches across. Were black rubber, but got painted over with the last paint job prior to me tearing it a part.

I will post another plastic part tomorrow to look for identification. I just don't have a pic of it tonight.

I have a couple of rubber parts that have two screws on them. I didn't put a descriptor on the drawer when I catalogged every part and I have NO idea what they go too. Could someone help me out here. Here are the parts hopefully someone can identify them.

unknownparts_zps10467ece.jpg

They are about 5 inches long and about 1.5-2 inches across. Were black rubber, but got painted over with the last paint job prior to me tearing it a part.

Don't loose those! Hard to find item, 1966 only!! Those go under the tail light on the quarter panel between the body and rear bumper, have to put those on before the rear bumper.

Here ya go, I circled the area where they go :glasses7:

Attachments

• DSC07071.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 147
-
Back