66 Valiant kick panels,...really??

-

FURY440

Reaction score
IMG_0797.JPG
This is what the PO did to the kick panels in my 66 Valiant. I have the correct material to make new ones. My question is, the factory painted them black, but was it flat black or satin finish? Looks like satin to me, but you never know. If you look close at the picture, it looks like there was something sown on the left side. Anyone know what that would have been? Trim piece possibly? Any pictures of yours would be a big help.
Thank you...

Satin black, and the piece that gets sewn on is a vinyl trim piece, color coded to int color, in your case, black.
I think you can see it in this picture..

028.jpg

You could probably use some vinyl door edge trim if you want to be closer to an authentic look. Just peel the tape off and stick it on. A whole lot easier than sewing something.

Thank you for the information. Satin it is and I'll use vinyl door edge trim and paint it also.

hey if you are doing the passenger side too, I could seriously use the tracing as mine is MIA. can you copy the paper? assuming it is the same as a 66 dart 4 dr

I'm pretty sure they are the same from drives side to passengers side. Mine is missing on the passengers side also. I will be tracing the drivers side to use on the passengers side. Not sure if they are the same though. I just assumed they are.

How does it attach? I see the 2 holes. Are those for screws? Or are they for the panel clips like the door panels?

View attachment 1715017128 This is what the PO did to the kick panels in my 66 Valiant. I have the correct material to make new ones. My question is, the factory painted them black, but was it flat black or satin finish? Looks like satin to me, but you never know. If you look close at the picture, it looks like there was something sown on the left side. Anyone know what that would have been? Trim piece possibly? Any pictures of yours would be a big help.
Thank you...

Mine were satin black, but I think they were painted to hide the gold color so probably not correct o n the color.
the pieces sewn onto the edge are trim weight vinyl (really thin stuff) here is an ebay pic' (lousy sewing on then though) some people use door guard painted to match the interior also.
!!!!kick panels original.JPG

I made my own and then decided I wanted to put speakers in mine so I ended up with these I made.
DSCF4460.JPG

DSCF4453.JPG

DSCF4454.JPG

works pretty good with slimline speakers . I have a deeper set in the works for the wife's car.

Mine were satin black, but I think they were painted to hide the gold color so probably not correct o n the color.
the pieces sewn onto the edge are trim weight vinyl (really thin stuff) here is an ebay pic' (lousy sewing on then though) some people use door guard painted to match the interior also.
View attachment 1715018846

I made my own and then decided I wanted to put speakers in mine so I ended up with these I made.
View attachment 1715018847
View attachment 1715018848
View attachment 1715018849

works pretty good with slimline speakers . I have a deeper set in the works for the wife's car.
Looks cool. So are they both the same shape? Like a mirror copy or is one different than the other?

Looks cool. So are they both the same shape? Like a mirror copy or is one different than the other?

they are a mirrored copy of each other. If your going stock and/or don't have a convertible. The convertibles have the same kick panel but it bulges out a bit on the drivers side due to that darn relay for the convertible top. I added 1/2" compound curve to my ABS ones so it would clear the relay on the drivers side.

In the picture above of the orange ones, there is the extra hole. I believe that's for the antenna wire. I'm not going to add that one when I make mine. Just put the antenna wire over the top of the panel. The 2 holes are for screws. These were on mine with stainless
screws.
0172757_hr4c.jpg

-
Back