66 Valiant V8 header question

-

Lincoln

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site here and I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but I've been looking around to see if there is a header that will work with a column shift auto and I can't find anything that says it will work for certain. I have looked at the stickey threads on spitfires and saw one that was made to work, but I didn't see if it was a factory V8 car or not. My car was originally a slant 6 and I will be putting a 318/904 in with a Schumacher kit if that makes a difference? I saw on the tti site that they say it won't work but I didn't see anything on the dougs, laysons, or sanderson sites about column shift cars, but I easily could have missed it. The only headers I am opposed to are the fender well style ones because I don't want to cut holes in my car. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me. Lincoln

Looks like if you want headers you will have to do away with the column shift or work around it.

Thank you for the responses, but that is what I was afraid I'd hear. Does anyone have any threads in how they were able to work around the shift linkage with headers?

Unless you are going wild building the 318, stock exhaust manifolds may be the best answer. Lots of members with 64-66 cars are using them.
Mike

The only reason I really want to put headers in is because I plan on putting a 390 stroker in down the line and I figure putting the headers in now will make the motor swap as easy as pull one out and put the other in because I won't have to change exhaust to accommodate the headers or anything like that. Otherwise I would consider the manifold route

I thought about this long and hard, a member here (could be more) has been running fender well headers for many years and I went and seen him and his car, They do not hang low and are very user friendly. I do understand that you do not want to cut these holes and I did not ether..I have a new set of super Comp ready to be used and going this rout after seeing the problems to go with a header that hugs the block.
JMO , I will net more HP and great sound with these.

Attachments

• 1535013_1008768765805136_1563774798459049784_n.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 180
It is my understanding that Laysons/spitfires work with column shifter BUT not with power steering

Call and talk with Layson to confirm

Otherwise, you are SOL

Well Mike, I'll re consider the fender well option but I still don't know if I can bring myself to do it. And James I think I will give them a shout and see what they say.

-
Back