66 Valiant Windshield Leak

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Replaced to boot gasket on my front windshield along with a new lock strip several months ago. Safe lite did the work. We’ve had a lot of rain here lately and when I went out to start the car I found the carpet wet. I’m thinking it’s leaking on the corners. Anyone use butyl rubber along with the gasket.

Most professionals don't use sealer on these type of windshields except with rusted opening. Also check the under dash vents.

Also check the wiper pivot seals.
I upgraded the pivots this past summer. I just went out to the car during a lull in the rain. It does appear that water is dripping down in direct alignment with the pivots. I probably need to address the drain holes. Not sure where they are at on an early A body.

I diffidently had a leak around wind shield gasket. All new. I put black ATV in the grove on the gasket that goes over the pinch weld around the windshield. No more leak... And the RTV held the gasket in place till I put in the glass....

The factory used a dum-dum type sealer on the gasket to pinch weld. As mentioned, look at the wiper pivot seals and the fresh air vent inlet area on the firewall/cowl. You may have to pull the heater box to check that side. I'd start by crawling under the dash (or have someone else more limber!) with a flashlight while someone turns the hose on the windshield.

Take a hose and run water in the cowl vents. There are drain holes on each side of the cowl behind the front fenders. I would try to tip the car to each side and make sure the water runs out from behind the fenders on both sides. If not and is plugged with leaves and dirt the cowl area can be come a swimming pool and back up enough to over flow the air intake vent lips.

Take a hose and run water in the cowl vents. There are drain holes on each side of the cowl behind the front fenders. I would try to tip the car to each side and make sure the water runs out from behind the fenders on both sides. If not and is plugged with leaves and dirt the cowl area can be come a swimming pool and back up enough to over flow the air intake vent lips.
The Valiant is a Tucson car, spent most of its life there up until the owner moved to the Phoenix area. There was a lot of crap under the dash and would imagine the same for the cowl. It has a new windshield gasket as well as wiper seals. Next step is to figure out how to get to the drain holes.

The Valiant is a Tucson car, spent most of its life there up until the owner moved to the Phoenix area. There was a lot of crap under the dash and would imagine the same for the cowl. It has a new windshield gasket as well as wiper seals. Next step is to figure out how to get to the drain holes.

Mine is a Phoenix car. The cowl was full of leafs, mud an sticks from being parked under a tree for a long time was my guess.

Leaking door seals can do it too. It will leak down around the front upper corner of the vent window and down the side corner of the dash. That's what Vixen's leak is from.

-
Back