-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Son2PopsCuda

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking for a 8.25" rear to switch out the 7.25" 9 bolt rear, I want to keep the car "numbers matching" and of beef up the 273 that the car came with. I'm not expecting to get ridicules hp out a 273 but I can get closer to the 280 hp by swapping out the intake to accommodate a 4bbl carb. would it make sense to swap the rear or would the 7.25" hold up?

Yes, it would make sense to replace the 7 1/4", but then it won't be numbers matching, as the 67-9 Cuda never came with an 8 1/4"!! In fact, that rear didn't come out until 73 in an A body, and only with the large bolt pattern! So, you will either end up with 2 spare tires, one for each bolt pattern, or have to swap the front to large bolt also, which again will not be numbers matching!!

Oh, the can of worms we open sometimes!!

Even if I don't intend to swap the 273 for a 383?, the 273 doesn't make that much power.

I have a problem with opening too many cans of worms at one time.

8.25 or 8.75 will require a different drive shaft length, shock plates, and U bolts.
The 8.25 does have the larger 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. The 8.75 is small pattern and closer to correct for your car. Be prepared for sticker shock when searching for one of those.
As for installing the 8.25, I have never searched for adapters that take the 5 on 4.5 large pattern back to the 5 on 4.0 small pattern that you now have. I suppose they are available somewhere.

You can use your 7 1/4" behind a warmed up 273, it will be sufficient! Now, if you're hot footing it, it's user beware as to how long it will last! Could be years, or days, depending on how much you beat on it!

You can use your 7 1/4" behind a warmed up 273, it will be sufficient! Now, if you're hot footing it, it's user beware as to how long it will last! Could be years, or days, depending on how much you beat on it!
I figure if they mated a 383 to a 7 1/4, a 273 shouldn't be a problem, key word....shouldn't

ok this maaaaay be a stupid question, but would I be able to rebuild the 7 1/4 with gears that would be able withstand more power? I've come to terms rather quickly that I don't want to swap due to the fact that I would like to keep the numbers matching, but I still wanna rip apart the block to beef up the little guy as much as my wallet withstands. That plus the fact that if I do the rear than I have to do the front and those dollars could go to other parts of the build that need to get done.

383 cars had an 8 3/4. 7 1/4 should be fine, especially if a sure grip. What gears?
not sure about the gear ratio but I thought all A bodies had 7 1/4 until 73? would a modification be possible to turn it into a sure grip? essentially sure grip is Mopars Posi Traction.

Formula S cars typically had 3.23 gears. Sure Grip is a Mopar "posi". The Sure Grip is stronger and can be added cheap since you just have to set backlash. If you can find one for a 7 1/4. 8 3/4 rears were available in 66 and readily available in 67 through 72.

""8 3/4 rears were available in 66 and readily available in 67 through 72.""

..."were readily available" being the operative words there!:steering:

I think the 7.25 suregrip unit is the simplest closest to correct choice for your 67 model. 273 S w/904 got those. I wont agree that its "stronger" than any other 7.25. I think its adequate for 273 w/904.
They don't come available often. I've seen 3? 5 at most for sale here during my 10 years.
Good hunting

I think the 7.25 suregrip unit is the simplest closest to correct choice for your 67 model. 273 S w/904 got those. I wont agree that its "stronger" than any other 7.25. I think its adequate for 273 w/904.
They don't come available often. I've seen 3? 5 at most for sale here during my 10 years.
Good hunting
What do mean by 904?

904 is the automatic trans behind the 273. The 8-3/4 was standard with any engine 340 and bigger (hemi four speed cars had a Dana 60). By 1967 many 273 four barrel auto cars got the 8-3/4, too. My old '66 Barracuda (Commando 273/4 speed) had a 3.23 geared 7-1/4. The previous owner broke two sets of spider gears and one axle. I was braking from 10 mph one night when the other axle broke. I swapped in the 8-3/4 from a '67 Dart GT rallye package car.

I wouldn't run a 7-1/4 due to it being weak, too weak in my opinion. Especially on one that is 50 years old. I broke that axle in 1981...

904 is the automatic trans behind the 273. The 8-3/4 was standard with any engine 340 and bigger (hemi four speed cars had a Dana 60). By 1967 many 273 four barrel auto cars got the 8-3/4, too. My old '66 Barracuda (Commando 273/4 speed) had a 3.23 geared 7-1/4. The previous owner broke two sets of spider gears and one axle. I was braking from 10 mph one night when the other axle broke. I swapped in the 8-3/4 from a '67 Dart GT rallye package car.

I wouldn't run a 7-1/4 due to it being weak, too weak in my opinion. Especially on one that is 50 years old. I broke that axle in 1981...
welp there goes the whole keeping the #'s matching, figuring you also had to do the front unless the 8 3/4 has a 5-4 bolt pattern.

An A-body 8 3/4 diff is an easy swap. You will need the shock plates to go with it and probably a different length drive shaft possibly with a different rear u-joint.

An A-body 8 3/4 diff is an easy swap. You will need the shock plates to go with it and probably a different length drive shaft possibly with a different rear u-joint.
Thanks, already started looking into them, pricey is definitely high, gotta shop around, might as well look into a stronger motor if I'm going to swapping out numbers

Thanks, already started looking into them, pricey is definitely high, gotta shop around, might as well look into a stronger motor if I'm going to swapping out numbers
And there it goes, The snowballing money pit rolls again. Replace everything from radiator cap to lug nuts. Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back