67 barracuda 360 swap update

-

skycuda67

Reaction score
Been working a lot, but making a serious push to get this thing done. Car had a 318, and I'm swapping over to a semi built 360, not as bolt in as I thought! Ran into a couple small issues, the 360 motor mounts I had were way too tall, so I ended up modifying my 318 brackets to fit (bottom picture) The engine sits nice and low how I want, and it came to the moment of truth for how well my Doug thorley headers would fit.... As you can see in the pic it hits my steering assembly (on the back tube further up the steering assembly), so I tried cutting slots in the motor mount to pull the motor forward a little on that side, loosened the tranny mounts, got it to come forward 3/8 " and its just barely still touching in that spot. However on the passenger side the headers have all the room in the world, but can't get the motor to move over. Tomorrow will try and reposition the motor a little more. If all else fails should I just dent in the tube a little? Was really hoping to avoid it on these things, hopefully more pics to follow soon

Attachments

• IMAG0251.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 344
  • IMAG0252.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 336
  • IMAG0253.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 301
Either that, or cut about an inch off the outer steering tube and move all the inner parts up about an inch. That should give you the clearance there, but I can't see if the inner steering rod is touching too.

Thanks guys I'll take a look at that today, with that collar slid up the headers will clear the steering rod though just barely, but I don't even have the gaskets on yet so maybe it wont :/

I have Hedman headers in my 360 Duster, And there is almost no way to change the back 2 spark plugs on the drivers side. Keep that in mind.

Could shim the motor mounts. Had to with my Sanderson's. If you got all that room on the other side that could help.

I used the Summit headers, and massaged them a little here and there. I heated them up with my oxy/acetylene torch cherry red and used a ball peen hammer and various other things to gently bend them where they needed it. Mine are painted with VHT flat black, so they are easy to touch up.

I have 1 3/4 Headman Hustlers on my small block and you can reach every plug with ease, and starter swaps are easy too.

I am currently having the same problem on my 360 duster so i did the same thing as someone above, heat it up and hit it with a hammer. But do you guys think this will effect the motor specifically that piston at all by changing the shape and volume of that header tube. Just curious.

-
Back