67 Barracuda Front Door Window Felts

-

RPM440+6

FABO Vendor
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
After 20 plus years of providing the Top Catwhiskers to the marketplace, we have stumbled upon another issue that hopefully someone can help us with. In recent weeks, we have had two customers with 67 Cuda Fastbacks having issues with the front door inner and outer window felts. From one set of samples that the owner sent to us of an original 67 set, they appear to be approximately one inch shorter than the current tooling in place for the 67 to 69 felts.

Looking at the parts books, the front doors used the same part number 2860 026-7 for the outers and 2663 462-3 for inners over the three years of production.

Could it be possible that the very early production cars in 67 used a different configuration? Dave and I have no clue and you just do not see that many 67 Cuda Fastbacks. Any insight would be appreciated.

Not sure if I can be of help, but would the whiskers be different fastback, notch or vert? Door shells are pretty much the same.
Our 67 fb is in storage but the 69 vert is here if I can be of help?

The factory parts numbers for the outers are are 2860 026-7 for the 67 to 69 fastback applications. For the hardtops and convertibles, they used the 2860 028-9. For the inners, the parts numbers are 2663 462-3 for the hardtops and fastbacks while the convertibles used 2811 082 and 2860 207 from my research. So there is some overlap for say a hardtop to a convertible.

We have seen changes before in the same production year, but this is the first for the 67 fastback application that has come to our attention. The quarter glass felts matched up to our current tooling, just the door felts are a different length. We even thought that they may have used a small "door end plug" as used on the 68 to 70 B-Body applications. I am severely lacking the knowledge of the finer details on these applications and thus the question to hopefully satisfy our customer and ourselves.

We can create a new fixture to manufacture the correct felt, but it would be nice to know if there is a known change over. That way, a new part number can be created for the correct application with a description of the time frame covered.

@4spdragtop thanks for the reply. possibly you can respond in a time frame that works for you the length of the inner and outer door window felts along with the production date. Thanks for your response.

Richard,

My October 68 built 69 FB used these same parts with no issues. Sorry I can not assist.

However as close as you are I can bring the car over to you for measurements If needed or you can come over and visit.

I doubt any early 67 were different. Sounds like a change in production. My guess only!

Last edited:
Gerald,
Thanks for the offer. It seems that our issue is isolated to the 67 model year only. With that being said, hopefully through the broad knowledge of the members to this site, we can get a better understanding of a change and why and when did it take place.

After selling thousands of sets over the years for the 67 to 69 coverage, this one is completely new to us and just goes to prove to "Never say Never with Ma Mopar." So was there a change in vendors to prompt a change, a change by Chrysler, etc. Will never know, but hopefully some insight from the site will give us a better clue so as to take care of the customer needs.

Take care,
Richard

If your window felts are original to the car, please measure the overall length of the inner and outer felts from the division bar of the vent frame to the rear of the felts. Thanks for your assistance!!

Heres what I have, 1st is a 67 door, I believe it's from fastback. Also unsure if original or not.
Outer felt is slightly longer at 27 3/4". BUT outer starts approx 1/4" further forward to front of car.
Inner felt starts 1/4" BACK from start of outer. Total length 27 1/2". Also at end of inner felt, the chrome is bent at 90* approx 1/4".
2nd pic with small screwdriver shows where chrome for outer felt starts slightly closer to front edge of door by about 1/4". Both 67 doors measured identical.

I have 69 vert doors I'll get pics and post.

20210103_150830.jpg

20210103_151215.jpg

20210103_151327.jpg

20210103_151453.jpg

@4spdragtop, thanks for the photos of the 67 door. From looking at the samples sent by the customer to what we have been using, we are finding that the difference is the outer door felts for a 67 door, the inners are the same from 67 to 69. The 67 outers measure 27 and 13/16 inches where the 68 and 69 measure 28 and 1/4 inches for a difference of 7/16 inches.

Not only is the overall length different, the attaching clip location is different for the 67 Fastback year model.

So with that said, was it a change in production, plant, etc? From looking at the parts numbers running the three year spread, I am thinking that it might have been an early production run and they went to the new design sometime late in the 66 or early 67 physical year. But you would think that they would have listed the original part number and created a new number for the longer felt. Again, never say never.

Just find it interesting that it took all of these years to see this issue come to our attention. That is why I am thinking it was only a early production difference. @4spdragtop, do you happen to know the scheduled build date for the car with the 67 doors?

Thanks for the input and still open to ideals on the issue.

@RPM440+6 Sorry, I have no spd on 67 doors. I took pics of 69 vert doors but didnt get measurements, sorry forgot the tape measure lol. What I noticed is the 69 inner felt is quite different in that the "chrome" is a different profile and much wider. I'll get pics with measurements.
Back to the 67 inners and outers with my uneducated eyes....both appear to have same profile and length. Altho the inner is set slightly further back by about 1/4" the inner has the 90* bend for approx 1/4". So equal length and similar profile. Could they swap inside to out? Hope that makes sense.
Heres pics of 69, I'll get some with measurements.
@4spdragtop, thanks for the photos of the 67 door. From looking at the samples sent by the customer to what we have been using, we are finding that the difference is the outer door felts for a 67 door, the inners are the same from 67 to 69. The 67 outers measure 27 and 13/16 inches where the 68 and 69 measure 28 and 1/4 inches for a difference of 7/16 inches.

Not only is the overall length different, the attaching clip location is different for the 67 Fastback year model.

So with that said, was it a change in production, plant, etc? From looking at the parts numbers running the three year spread, I am thinking that it might have been an early production run and they went to the new design sometime late in the 66 or early 67 physical year. But you would think that they would have listed the original part number and created a new number for the longer felt. Again, never say never.

Just find it interesting that it took all of these years to see this issue come to our attention. That is why I am thinking it was only a early production difference. @4spdragtop, do you happen to know the scheduled build date for the car with the 67 doors?

Thanks for the input and still open to ideals on the issue.

20210103_152142.jpg

20210103_152153.jpg

20210103_152231.jpg

20210103_152242.jpg

@4spdragtop, the convertibles are unique to themselves with the wider bright bead. The inners for the Cuda's and Dart hardtops are the same material and dimensions. From what you have shown with your pictures that confirms the samples that the customer supplied, is that the 67 Cuda fastbacks can have a unique outer window felt. The material is the same that we have been using and is the same for the 68 and 69 model years.

So now to complicate issues for the owners of the 67 Cuda fastbacks, is which style of window felts they will need to purchase if they are in the market for them. How many the 67 Cuda fastbacks have 68 or 69 doors on them or vice versa. I guess that it is just one more thing that the owners and us will have to deal with as the situation arises.

I will measure mine. I still have original felts and need to replace them. My 67 was produced in September I believe. What was the production date of the customers that had issues. I’ll be home after 5 to measure. You guys have some great customer service apparently By trying to resolve this.

I had some issues with my 67 Fastback, don't recall what they were and what i needed to do to take care of it.
I did use a set of Top Catwhiskers but I don't recall if that was the problem or the solution.

My car is a 11/66 build, very early.

If I can I might be able to get info off the car, not sure what as it is together now.

Alan

Dave has been perfecting these Top Catwhiskers for over 30 years now and has developed all of the tooling necessary to make them correct. It is much easier to be proactive and fix the problem than trying to put a band aid on it. So if we can figure this out, it only makes it easier on the customer and us as well.

We will have to get with the customer who supplied the 67 felts to determine the build date. All of the information that we gather only helps all of us to document the differences and what will and will not work.

Again, thanks to all of you guys providing the information and those who have purchased the Top Catwhiskers over the years.

Measurement of an original 67 Fastback Barracuda doors catwhiskers. The car is long gone, so I can't help with the timing of the change.

upload_2021-1-28_9-43-46.jpeg

-
Back