[Found!] 67 Barracuda ignition switch

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's different about a '66 switch? Aren't they both 2497158? Do you need just the switch, or, do you need the lock cylinder with key? Bezel? I have on out of a '66 with or without a lock cylinder.

I can do that but with the quality of parts these days, I’d rather find an original in good condition.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Have a great day.
I bought one to switch out , hunting my problem, worked great , but wasnt the problem...

I have a few switches. They changed a bit through the years. '60-68 were pretty much the same electrically and they were the same size. It was mainly about the way they locked into the dash so the switch wouldn't spin when the key was turned. The early ones use a little finger cast into the aluminum housing. By '68 they used a slot cut into the housing. The later ones also have two cleats cast into the housing to help hold the newly designed plug in place. If you post the number off your old switch, and/or post some detailed photos of your old switch, I'll check to see what I have.

The switch I have now is still in the car. It’s the original one and having intermittent issues. I would like to find a switch that is either NOS or very low use to prevent problems in the future
Thank you all

I thought all 3 years were different. 68 definitely mounts different.
That's correct. '67 uses 2497158 which has 6 wire connections and a lower pin to lock it into place. '68 uses 2864250, also 6 wire connections, but, has a slot cut into the housing to lock it in place. '69 went to the large diameter switch and came in either a 5 wire or 6 wire version depending on whether the application needed a ground connection or not. The 6 terminal can replace the 5 terminal for all those '67 and earlier years. The 2497158 replaced the earlier 2097628 which only had 5 wire connection (no ground terminal), but, otherwise looks the same and has the same lock pin to keep it from spinning. The 2864250 added two lugs that the new '68 (and later) ignition switch plug used to lock the plug onto the switch. As far as interchange, all the factory and aftermarket switches for the '67 and earlier cars, use the 2497158 version, even though some claim the '68 uses the same switch. Electrically, and sizewise, sure it will work, but, it won't lock properly into the dash. If you tighten the bezel enough, you can probably make it work however. Due to it's larger diameter, '69 is a one year only switch, even though electrically, it is the same and the ignition plug pattern is the same. It's possible that the different changeovers didn't occur exactly when the model year changed.....not counting the change made from '68 to '69. I've never seen a '69 model with a '68 type switch, and I've had some pretty early build '69's over the years. I've never seen a late '68 with the '69 type switch either. On a separate note, the '68 and earlier use the same lock cylinder. The '69 lock cylinder is also a one year only part.

I attached

20230524_103258.jpg

20230524_103347.jpg

20230524_103404.jpg
the 67 bezel and mount to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back