67 Barracuda

-

snake_plisskin

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum! I looked at a 67 barracuda fastback tonight that's for sale. Below is the good and the bad that I noticed. The asking price is $2500 so I'd be interested in hearing what you guys think.

The bad:
Original 273 motor is locked up
The quarter panels have some rust so they'll need to be replaced/patched.
There is one rust hole in the drivers side fender.
Needs front window trim replaced.
Needs driver and passenger floor pans replaced.
Might need the trunk pan replaced. Not rusted through yet.
Passenger door has a few large dents.
Need carpet, seats recovered, and headliner.

The good:
The rest of the body panels look good
rocker panels looked good
The underside of the car looks pretty rust free
all the grill parts are there and in good shape
glass is good all around
Dash is in good shape
Looks like it has all the emblems and they're in good shape
Looks like most of the trim is there

What do you all think? I'm thinking $2500 might be a little high.

700 tops. You go to restore that car and you'll be in way over your head. All floors, quarters = big bucks

I would shop around unless you have experience and a passion for bodywork.

Try finding a car with minimal bodywork necessary from the north west or southwest or canada with this:

http://www.my-craigs-finder.com/

eBay or other websites and posting what you are searching for.

Body work costs are astronomical in today's market. I could be wrong, but I would appreciate a more knowledgable member showing me a better way.

The market for cheap cars has just started and continues through February, in the summer most of the prices Are much higher.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

-pictures of the potential buy would arouse many more opinions.

Welcome aboard! Listen what the gentlemen above are saying. Also, do a search, I believe Tony Fields documented the amount to restore his "basket case" Barracuda!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did a quick spreadsheet layout out the costs and I'm already over 15K. That doesn't include any real upgrades either.

Also thanks for the tip on Tony Fields thread on real costs. Definitely very eye opening.

I've worked on cars and motorcycles for years but this would be my first "restoration". I think it would be better to find a car with less rust and fewer issues.

Thanks!

What state?

On any "early" A body, I like to stick my arm up as far as I can in the passenger's vent, to feel the lip of the opening.

If it's rusted there, it's a deal killer. Most other stuff can be fixed.

I've been looking for a 68 FB for several years, and finding any for under 4K is difficult, let alone one with a good cowl.

How about the 68 FB that member "davescuda" has for sale right here for $4200?? Looks like a real solid car, I think it runs, and the price is right!! Check it out!! Geof

On any "early" A body, I like to stick my arm up as far as I can in the passenger's vent, to feel the lip of the opening.

Sounds like an a-body prostate check.... LOL!

What part of the country are you in? In California that's a parts car. You could find a lot better than that.

-
Back