67 Dart GT Clone Build

-

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
Started to tear down the Dart to begin the transformation. It started out as a Dart 270 with a /6 that had a piston hanging out of the block, knocked the starter off the transmission! I put in a 360 twice, the first was junk and never ran, the second one ran fine, but i never had the rear brakes working and wiring issues, and so forth and so on.

I've been gathering parts for about 10 years and finally am giving the old girl some attention she deserves. I will be cloning a 67 GT. I have complete interior with buckets and a console, tail panel, emblems, and will be getting rocker molding to complete the look.

For power I'll be using a 440 to start, and hopefully ending with a Hemi down the road. That has me thinking of opening the wheel wells when it comes time for body work, as I've loved the look of these cars and will be using a hemi scoop. Those will be the 2 deviations from stock 67 GT image. For now I want to get the car drivable.

I'll also be throwing in a 68 /6 K member, Schumacher mounts, 73 up front suspension, tie rod ends, center link and 11.75" rotors and pin type calipers. Have Weld Pro Star rims and 275/60/15s for the rear. Anyone know what issues I might run into with these tires? I have to check the backspacing on the rims. I will have that info tomorrow.

I hope to have the engine/trans and driveshaft out tonight, then I'll probably do the interior. Gonna have to find a place for the stuff inside the car! Gotta find a place for the stuff in the garage...

Attachments

• IMG_3458.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_3460.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 433
That's not factory? Yeah it looks like crap. It's originally light blue, previous owner scuffed it before putting the yellow on. Blacked out all the chrome and lettering. On the plus side, I got a decent 68 grille with the center divider, but painted black.

That's not factory? Yeah it looks like crap. It's originally light blue, previous owner scuffed it before putting the yellow on. Blacked out all the chrome and lettering. On the plus side, I got a decent 68 grille with the center divider, but painted black.

Nope....engine compartment should be body color.

I knew that wasn't factory. That was a failed attempt at being sarcastic.

Got the 360 and 727 out last week. Haven't been around a computer to upload pics until today. Got the old headers out also.

I picked up a set of 002/003 Super Stock rear springs and an 8 & 3/4 axle with 3:23 gears. The brakes flash rusted and need to be knocked loose, other than that this is ready to go. Ive read about the different arches in the SS springs, but wow, in person it really does show! Looks like they aren't for the same car. Shop dog Tasha is keeping an eye on them for me.

I need to order up a front end kit, and then I can install my 68 K frame and 73 up spindles, control arms and linkage along with my 11.75" rotors and pin type calipers. No brakes to Whoa! brakes. Order some BBP axles, and on go the Weld Pro Stars, can't wait!

View attachment IMG_3492.jpg

View attachment IMG_3469.jpg

View attachment IMG_3471.jpg

View attachment IMG_3481.jpg

View attachment IMG_3485.jpg

View attachment IMG_3484.jpg

View attachment IMG_3487.jpg

Put the 8 & 3/4 rear axle and Super Stock springs in. Took the old one out over a few hours the 2 days before. Slapped the newer stuff in over a few hours today and it's back on the ground. The drivers side sits a little higher and bounces like normal. The pass side, it's stiff as hell! It will definitely plant the tire much better.

View attachment IMAG2912.jpg

View attachment IMAG2925.jpg

View attachment IMAG2928.jpg

Got some parts for the engine swap and have a full kit from P-S-T coming. Need to order a few odds and ends, but the ball is finally rolling.

Photos, photos MUST have photos, LOL
That will force me to move all the crap off the car! That's the first step this weekend, clean up the garage. I won't have much room to work.with and need to reduce unnecessary clutter. I'll take some pics of what I have so far and post them.

No pics yet Del, but I just scored a .484 cam and lifters for the build. Pick them up tomorrow.

So I had a guy at work "help" me out by taking the rusty seized bolts out of my upper control arms. He says to me, "I got it all out but the sleeves". What sleeves I ask myself. He meant the bushings. I told him I had the tool to remove them, but he said he could get them out by collapsing them in on themselves. At the end of our shift, he comes up to me and says they are sitting on a picinic table outside. I had a very busy night and forgot within 30 seconds. Go home, sleep, wake up for work and "oh crap!" I remembered my parts! Get to work and tried finding them for 12 hours to no avail. Shift ends and the manager told me to look out in the dumpster. Sure enough, there they were. Grabbed them and threw them in my car and went home. When I went to work I took a look and this is what I saw:

IMAG4501.jpg

IMAG4502.jpg

IMAG4503.jpg

IMAG4504.jpg

IMAG4505.jpg

IMAG4506.jpg

IMAG4507.jpg

IMAG4508.jpg

The guy took a grinder or cutoff wheel and really helped me out! I found a set of cleaned up bare arms here from another member. I wish I wouldn't have found them on n the dumpster. I was mad that my coworkers have the amount of respect for others possessions, then to find out the arms got hacked and the bushings didn't get taken out. When I saw the "helper" a few days later he didn't say a thing, and I didn't either as I was still pissed he took good parts and screwed them up. I should have taken them from him after he got the bolts out. They will now occupy space on a shelf waiting for the apocalypse so I can build a doomsday machine. (Most of the gouging is just superficial but I'm not using them)

While getting information for some other cars, I got this for my Dart, the IBM punch card. Found out the car was sold in Florida, not the Minnesota dealer whose emblem was in the car when I bought it. I knew it was in Florida, but I thought they brought it down there.
IMG_20190430_122921.jpg

Very cool info on the IBM card Loco what info does the card provide and how did you go about getting it done as I would like to get some info on mine.

Very cool info on the IBM card Loco what info does the card provide and how did you go about getting it done as I would like to get some info on mine.
The card tells you about the cars options, very similar to a broadcast sheet. There are rows and columns on the card that give you a numerical value, and those numbers make up the codes on the broadcast sheet. I just learned about that the other day, so it's all new to me I have some time this weekend, I hope to get it all figured out.

I contacted Chrysler Historical and sent a photo of my titles, I had four cars I submitted, and they sent the letter and a picture of the card. They used to decide it for you but don't anymore. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Here the address to send a request.

Screenshot_20190412-225118~2.png

After letting the car get covered for almost five years, it came out of hibernation to get loaded up for the move to the new digs. It will be on the trailer for a couple weeks, and then it goes right into the 24x30 garage all by itself. Plenty of room to dance around the car and get things done.

IMG_20200530_101655.jpg

Poor man's winch system.
IMG_20200530_104113.jpg

IMG_20200530_113339.jpg

-
Back