67 dart windshield removal

-

booker t jones

Reaction score
read somewhere you can remove the windshield on a 67 without destroying the rubber gasket any tips appreciated

67 doesn't have the one piece self locking gasket. The chrome look lock strip makes this a 2 piece type gasket. Remove the lock. Peel the gasket away from the glass all the way around inside and out. if the sealant is still alive you'll need something like wd-40 squirted between there to prevent re- adhesion. 2 humans in seat(s) place 4 feet/shoes against upper half of glass and push evenly.
If this removal is for a repaint, maybe you'll get lucky and break that front glass. I say "lucky" because a 50 year old windshield looks like crap when surrounded by shiny new finish.
Side and rear glasses can often be polished to look fine but... a front glass gets much more wear and abuse. More than will polish away in most cases.

67 doesn't have the one piece self locking gasket. The chrome look lock strip makes this a 2 piece type gasket. Remove the lock. Peel the gasket away from the glass all the way around inside and out. if the sealant is still alive you'll need something like wd-40 squirted between there to prevent re- adhesion. 2 humans in seat(s) place 4 feet/shoes against upper half of glass and push evenly.
If this removal is for a repaint, maybe you'll get lucky and break that front glass. I say "lucky" because a 50 year old windshield looks like crap when surrounded by shiny new finish.
Side and rear glasses can often be polished to look fine but... a front glass gets much more wear and abuse. More than will polish away in most cases.

I use a butter knife or frosting spreader to break the glass to gasket seal. Then I sit in the seat with my feet at 11 and 2 o'clock and apply light pressure and see if it pops out. If not I keep running the knives around the glass until it does pop out

-
Back