68 340 water pump question

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a small block water pump casting number 2402784. I placed the pump on the old style timing cover, all holes line up but there are a couple of differences between the aluminium pump and this steel one. The first is the overall height, the old pump measures about 6 inches to the face of the pulley mounting surface, the new one is only 5 inches. Is this something that the correct pulley will compensate for? The diameter of the cooling vanes is about 4.5 inches, which is one inch bigger than the aluminum pump. There are also two additional holes, one threaded one on the left as viewed from front, the other is a smooth bolt hole on the right. I am building a 340 from scratch, am not familiar with alternator/power steering accessory mounting areas etc. Can anyone tell me if this looks right?

Attachments

• WP_20140529_007.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 804
  • WP_20140529_008.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 801
For a 68 340, you need the set-up on the right. The cast iron water pump. The extra threaded holes on it are for the power steering pump brackets of that era.

If you get the correct 68 style pulleys, everything should bolt right up.

Refer to Rani's pulley ID thread for more info:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=243269

ps. That "nipple" on the cast iron water pump looks weird to me. Too fat at the top and too tall, which will make it tough to put the bypass hose on.

I used to just cut off a pipe and thread it into the holes, no need for the "flare" on the end. they also had different size bypass hoses for the cast iron water pump and the aluminum one.

You should be able to get better nipples from Mancini Racing.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/19ahehonikit.html

They have crank pulleys, but I don't see a water pump pulley for a 68 SB:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/strepu.html

krazykuda,
Thanks for the info and the link, it will be very helpful in my pulley search.

krazykuda,
Yeah, the nipple has a 1 inch OD. I will check out your links for better ones, thanks.

krazykuda,
Yeah, the nipple has a 1 inch OD. I will check out your links for better ones, thanks.

The link that I gave you for the nipples says that it should be 3/4". It is a kit for a complete 68 style engines.

I just purchased a small block water pump casting number 2402784. I placed the pump on the old style timing cover, all holes line up but there are a couple of differences between the aluminium pump and this steel one. The first is the overall height, the old pump measures about 6 inches to the face of the pulley mounting surface, the new one is only 5 inches. Is this something that the correct pulley will compensate for? The diameter of the cooling vanes is about 4.5 inches, which is one inch bigger than the aluminum pump. There are also two additional holes, one threaded one on the left as viewed from front, the other is a smooth bolt hole on the right. I am building a 340 from scratch, am not familiar with alternator/power steering accessory mounting areas etc. Can anyone tell me if this looks right?

What car are you putting the 340 in? If it is the Duster, what radiator are you using? I would use the water pump for the car and not the year engine. Notice the lower hose is on the opposite side... The larger nipple looks like an attempt to match the bypass hose on the intake. You may need to replace the bypass nipple on the intake if you want to continue on the 68 style water pump system.

66fs,
I am putting the 340 into a 71 Duster. I plan on using Magnum heads and a 7577 Edelbrock Air Gap intake. Also the car was a /6 and I have removed the core support which was a 22 inch because it was bent up, am replacing it with a 26 inch opening. I don't have a radiator yet, but will be looking for one with both outlet/inlet on drivers side I think. I'm O.K. with changing the nipple size on the intake if it needs to be done, I guess I have a lot to figure out. Thanks a lot for the heads up, more to think about!

That all makes sense. I didn't want you to have to change everything if you already had most of it.

It really depends on the radiator your going to use. 69 and earlier radiators had the lower hose on the opposite side than 70 and newer. If you are putting the 340 in a 71, I would use the aluminum pump. This puts the lower hose on the correct side for 71 and will make buying a original or a replacement radiator a easier job.

Just be aware that if you put the aluminum pump on that timing cover, you may find the lower rad hose makes it difficult/impossible to see the timing marks..

Doesn't look right. My 340 71 Duster pump looks like the one on the left. Here's how it looks in the car. Power steering is driver's side low. Timing marks low on driver's side--what inertia said x2. Radiator hose to water pump on pax side under alternator. Alt bracket uses 2 holes on water pump...top left.

I can't upload a px of the pump in the car from my phone, but if you want one send me contact info and I'll msg or e-mail you px of where accessories are.

There are 2 shaft sizes for water pumps. The original on the 71 340 was the smaller. I went with the larger which started on police vehicles later. Same price at O'Reilly's...cheap. I can send you the part number if interested. Good luck!

I personally would use the aluminum pump and get a different timing cover. Later model 318 340 360 share the same covers with the timing marks on the drivers side, they can be purchased cheap. Just put out a want ad here on FABO and you should have several members reply quickly. That can also be purchased new from Mancini if you want to go that route. It will also make finding a factory replacement style 26" radiator with the hose connections in the right position easier to find as SGBARRACUDA mentioned earlier.

I personally would use the aluminum pump and get a different timing cover. Later model 318 340 360 share the same covers with the timing marks on the drivers side, they can be purchased cheap. Just put out a want ad here on FABO and you should have several members reply quickly. That can also be purchased new from Mancini if you want to go that route. It will also make finding a factory replacement style 26" radiator with the hose connections in the right position easier to find as SGBARRACUDA mentioned earlier.

If you go for the aluminum pump, change the t/cover, then you'll be needing to remark the timing mark on the damper,, or get the correct damper as well as the timing cover.. and there's potential for the bypass hose size mismatch.. just so you know..

I'm of the opinion the OP is better of using the old stuff he's got,, the whole discussion was for the "simplicity" of using the newer style rad...

Phooey, It's easier to order the older style rad ((bottom hose location), they come either way,, same price.. or just have the rad outlet changed as nec,, it'll cost less than trying to get newer style pulleys, timing cover, damper, by-pass hose adaptor, etccc.. jmo

hope it helps

Thanks to everyone for all the insight and information. I managed to find a 69 water pump pulley for $10 at a show/swap I went to this weekend. Thanks again for the pulley link, I got the right one and will now use it for the crank pulley (thought I had but don't). Now for the search for a 3 core 26 inch radiator with drivers side inlet/outlet and a tranny cooler. At this point I am leaning away from aluminum, I hear that some B body radiators will cool a 340 and will fit under the hood.

Attachments

• WP_20140602_001.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 431
-
Back