68 A body pitman arm removal

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
Ok now that the box is out, how about removing the pitman arm from the box. My manual says I need some special tool, but it has said that several times now. It looks like one big as *** nut 1 1/4 or bigger. Any advice. Thanks

Ok now that the box is out, how about removing the pitman arm from the box. My manual says I need some special tool, but it has said that several times now. It looks like one big as *** nut 1 1/4 or bigger. Any advice. Thanks
You need a Pitman arm puller. You may be able to rent one since it sounds like you don't have one.
You won't be able to remove the Pitman arm without the tool. You first have to remove the nut and
then the arm. An impact gun works best to remove the nut as it will be hard to keep the shaft from turning
if you're trying to use a wrench.

1 5/16 inch
One of these.

pitman arm puller 1.jpg

Last edited:
If it is stubborn, I use an air hammer or regular hammer, to beat down on arm after puller is installed and tightened. Beat it, retighten puller, beat it, etc, until it pops off.

That one Jim posted os ok, but I prefer the kind that has the one piece clamp. At any rate, whichever puller you use, tighten the screw down, smack the end of the screw, tighten some more, smack the end of the screw.....rinse and repeat.

I wonder if Lares will also remove and replace pitman arm with the rebuild service they are doing if you pay extra

-
Back