68 a body upper control arm threads whats enuff

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
so i know they sucked from the factory
whats a limit of saying no and replacing them i mean they do thread in from bottom loaded at all times with pressure so i dont see them just falling out
but im this far into it i fig i would ask for some input from the others

i dont know how good the repops are and i dont want tubular
and im not sure if i really under stand how to cut out the threaded area with out messing up the control arm to weld in new boungs inless there over from the stock ones were i would just hole saw around them and weld new ones in.
not much room for weld going that route to the out side lip of arm

Mine aint so good on my 69, so Im gonna tack weld them in (3 in a triangular pattern)just to be on the safe side.

You mean for the ball joint? Ball joint threads are an oddball knuckle thread to start with. If you can get the old joint out, thread the new one in and see if you're comfortable with it. The upper ball joint doesn't support the weight of the vehicle, so you don't have to worry much about the ball joint being pulled out of the control arm. Still, you don't want any play there.

If your control arms are iffy, put a post in the "wanted" section.

the old ones were in there solid came out nice with the socket you know special tool jh45576890 that cost 300$ lol
car drove great before i just dont know where you draw the point there wasint much there from factory so me buying some one else will be the same thing i have my car only has 25k org miles so they are probley better then most out there lol

If you can torque the new ball joints to 125 or more ft-lbs then you are fine. If not, tack weld them in as that's the factory fix.

-
Back